VARIOUS: Series of events held in Russia and Germany in memory of journalist Anna Politkovskaya, murdered a year...
- Title: VARIOUS: Series of events held in Russia and Germany in memory of journalist Anna Politkovskaya, murdered a year ago
- Date: 8th October 2007
- Summary: (BN10) MOSCOW, RUSSIA (FILE - OCTOBER 2006) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE CARRYING OUT POLITKOVSKAY'S BODY FROM THE APARTMENT BUILDING , PUTTING BODY INTO AMBULANCE
- Reuters ID: LVA2TMKEE3YHTNUZYFLT9DBZ084G
- Duration: 00:00:11
- Aspect Ratio:
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Series of events held in Russia and Germany in memory of journalist Anna Politkovskaya, murdered a year ago.
Campaigners held a series of events in Moscow and around the world on Sunday (October 7) to commemorate journalist Anna Politkovskaya, murdered a year ago.
A fierce critic of Putin, the mother of two was shot dead in the lift of her Moscow apartment building on October 7 last year as she returned from shopping. No one has been convicted of her killing.
Family members and colleagues gathered for a private graveside remembrance of the reporter while others gathered in central Moscow for a photo exhibition, a silent memorial, and a commemorative edition of her newspaper Novaya Gazeta will be published on Monday.
About 2,500 extra police, some on horseback, patrolled near Pushkin Square in the city centre, where friends of the journalist, shot dead a year ago, joined members of the dissident "Other Russia" movement to demand her killers be brought to justice. About 1000 people have attended the rally. They were holding flowers and Anna Politkovskaya's photographs.
Mikhail Kasyanov, one of the leaders of the opposition "Other Russia" group has addressed the rally and said that Politkovskaya murder was a political one.
"Wether we like it or not, it was a political murder. And we know that this is the case. And all unsolved political murders committed in the past and this murder show that the country is in trouble, and today's rally, today's March of Discontent is a consolidation of our efforts" - said Mikhail Kasyanov after the rally ended.
As the rally took place Vladimir Putin, who is due to step down as Russian's President next year, celebrated his 55th birthday by throwing a farewell party at the Kremlin.
Protesters also gathered in front of the Russian Embassy in Berlinto remember the death of Politkovskaya.
Organised by Amnesty International, protesters carried photos of Politkovskaya and other Russian journalists who have died in the past year.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd October 2007 13:00