VARIOUS / FILE: South Korean President meets Indonesian President during his trip to Indonesia
- Title: VARIOUS / FILE: South Korean President meets Indonesian President during his trip to Indonesia
- Date: 7th March 2009
- Summary: LEE REVIEWING GUARD OF HONOUR
- Reuters ID: LVA42A8CUZNF8ZQ72914RZV5S8HT
- Duration: 00:00:15
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: South Korean President LeeMyung-bak meet with Indonesian President Susil Bambang Yudhoyono on Friday (March 6) to discuss bilateral issues including economic cooperation and security issues in the region during his three-day visit in Indonesia.
"During the bilateral meeting between Indonesia and South Korea we discussed several bilateral and multilateral issues between the two countries and other countries in the region," said Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono after the meeting.
The two leaders also discussed security issues.
"The Korean peninsula has fought for over 60 years, and what has been reported from the peninsula has not been positive because of the ongoing nuclear tests. But (South) Korea always tries to communicate with the North and I hope that North Korea can respond positively," said Lee.
Meanwhile, North Korea warned on Friday (March 6) the North might shoot down South Korean commercial airliners flying near its territory during annual U.S.-South Korean military drills next week, ratcheting up threats against it capitalist neighbour.
"Security cannot be guaranteed for South Korean civil airplanes flying through the territorial air of our side and its vicinity ... above the East Sea of Korea (Sea of Japan) in particular, while the military exercises are under way," said a news presenter of the North's KRT quoted a statement from a government official as saying.
The prickly communist state raised tensions in recent weeks by threatening to attack the South and preparing its longest-range missile for a launch.
The Taepodong-2 missile is designed to carry a weapon as far as Alaska, but has never flown successfully.
The North has said it is preparing to launch a satellite and has the right to do so as part of its peaceful space programme. North Korea is barred from test-firing its ballistic missiles under United Nations sanctions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:22nd March 2009 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.