- Title: VARIOUS: Australian-born actor Heath Ledger found dead in his New York apartment
- Date: 23rd January 2008
- Summary: (W5) NEW YORK, NEW YORK, USA (JANUARY 22, 2008) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF HEATH LEDGER'S NEW YORK CITY APARTMENT POLICE STANDING OUTSIDE HEATH LEDGER'S APARTMENT COVERED BODY OF HEATH LEDGER ON A STRETCHER BEING ROLLED OUT OF APARTMENT
- Reuters ID: LVA75SOGVL0C7KHQ5TVVMYKN61WV
- Duration: 00:00:44
- Aspect Ratio:
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz,People
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Australian-born actor Heath Ledger is found dead in his New York apartment. The Oscar nominated actor was found with pills near his body after a possible drug-related death.
Brokeback Mountain actor Heath Ledger was found dead in his New York apartment on Tuesday (January 22), police said.
Ledger, 28, was found unconscious with pills near his body after a possible drug-related death this afternoon, New York police department spokesman Paul Browne said.
Outside the SoHo apartment in downtown Manhattan, several police officers stood guard at the door as a large crowd of reporters and photographers gathered outside.
The Australian-born actor was found by his housekeeper at around 1530 EST (2020 GMT) after she went to let him know the masseuse had arrived for her appointment, Mr. Browne said.
Police officials said they did not suspect foul play and Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the city's medical examiner's office, said an autopsy was planned for tomorrow.
Neighbours and shop workers in the area said they frequently saw Ledger carrying his daughter Matilda on his shoulders, or having ice cream with her.
One man who works in a nearby department store says he saw Ledger walking in the neighbourhood on a regular basis.
"I'm just shocked by it obviously. I don't know exactly what the cause was, there's rumours. But it's a sad story, so young."
Ledger, who was nominated for the best actor Oscar in 2006 for Brokeback Mountain, had a two-year-old daughter Matilda from his relationship with actress Michelle Williams, who played his wife in the film.
The couple split up last year.
He was due to appear as the Joker this year in The Dark Night, a sequel to 2005's Batman Begins, and his other roles include the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in Monster's Ball.
He also starred in A Knight's Tale, The Patriot, and 10 Things I Hate About You.
Ledger grew up in Perth, Australia and began doing amateur theatre at age 10. At 16, he moved to Sydney to pursue an acting career, quickly landing TV movie roles and guest spots on Australian television.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th February 2008 12:00