- Title: MACAO: ITALIAN FORMULA ONE STAR RICARDO PATRESE WINS GRAND PRIX IN A CHEVRON.
- Date: 20th November 1978
- Summary: 1. GV PAN Crowds in the stands 0.07 2. LV Cars on the starting grid 0.11 3. CU PAN FROM Alan Jones in car No. 111 TO Ricardo Patrese in car No. 1 (final winner) 0.17 4. LV Crowd 0.21 5. LV PAN Start of race 0.29 6. LV & TV Crowd on buildings watch as car No. 1 leads car No. 3 down straight 0.36 7. TV Car 25 Peter Marshal (Hong Kong) followed by other cars including Alan Jones 0.40 8. LV PAN Car No. 2 driven by Keke Resberg (Finland) final second place, around bend 0.47 9. TV Other cars in pursuit 0.51 10. TV PAN Car No. 1 leading 0.55 11. TV Car No. 9, Graham Lawrence (New Zealand) in pursuit 1.00 12. TV PAN Car No. 76 (third place) Sketer McKitrich (USA) leading other cars 1.07 13. LV & SV PAN Crowd on building as first cars finish (3 shots) 1.16 14. CU & SV Newsmen filming as Patrese gets laurels flanked by Rosberg and McKitrich 1.27 Initials BB SPORT: MOTOR RACING Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAA4DRGKD0E4YYOQI96RWBNM2ND
- Location: MACAO
- Country: Macao
- Duration: 00:01:28
- Story Text: In Macao, the Italian Formula One star Ricardo Patrese has won the 25th macao Grand Prix in a Chevron. It is his second successive win in the event.
SYNOPSIS: Thousands turned out for the Grand Prix on Sunday (19 November), which was to prove a bitter disappointment for one of the Australian drivers.
Alan Jones in March number 111 faced frustration while Ricardo Patrese in his Chevron had a much easier race. He had pole position and was never far from the front.
For the first 13 laps the places changed frequently, but on that lap Patrese regained the lead which he never lost. Jones had been in the lead briefly, but his troubles were just starting, while Finland's Keke Rosberg drove consistently to eventually finish second. The battle for minor placing continued as the unfortunate Australian Alan Jones stopped twice fro new spark-plugs, and a third time with more engine trouble. And each time he returned to the race, he shattered the lap record to become the hero of the day. His mechanical troubles allowed Patrese to cruise home.
The triumphant Patrese was followed in by rosberg and Sketer McKitrich of the United States in Ralt.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th December 1978 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None