- Title: FRANCE: TREND-SETTING ST. TROPEZ GOES TOPLESS
- Date: 27th August 1971
- Summary: 1. SV PAN FROM boat to street 0.06 2. CU Gendarme looks at girl 0.08 3. SV Topless girl buys book on beach 0.18 4. SV Another topless girl 0.24 5. SV Two girls, one topless doing hand stand in water 0.30 6. SV Topless girl sunbathing 0.34 7. SV Nude girl ditto 0.37 8. MV Group under umbrella 0.38 9. CU Topless girl rubbing her back 0.43 10. SV Nude child walking towards males on beach 0.50 11. SV Nude baby girl looks through bag 0.54 12. SV & GV Girls in St, Tropez street (5 shots) 1.14 13. CU Girls shopping in boutique 1.17 14. GV EXT. "Vachon" 1.18 15. CU Girls in military-style clothes out of shop(3 shots) 1.30 16. GV EXT. "Seneguier" cafe 1.36 17. GV Street scene 1.41 Initials SGM/1124 SGM/1204 EDITORS: PLEASE NOTE: This film includes shots of topless girls which may offend some viewers. Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA2LEA5L7M05I6NFXG8NXP8MUA9
- Location: St. Tropez, France
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:01:41
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: High fashion has definitely taken a back seat in St. Tropez, the super-sophisticated playground of the French jetset. The Streets of the town are thronged with rich and poor alike, all wearing casual clothing and surplus army gear.
But the most radical change is on the beaches. Gendarmes have now turned a blind eye to topless sunbathers and the girls are taking advantage of the change of heart.
St. Tropez became the Mecca of the French jetsetters after Brigitte Bardot made her first big film thee in 1955. The French Riviera town, which launched such notable fashion fads as poor-boy sweaters, the gypsy look of 1969-70 and, most recently, hotpants, is now a gathering point for semi-nude sunbathers -- and, of course, people who are there just to look.
SYNOPSIS: Trend-setting St. Tropez -- the French Riviera town that launched hot pants -- is now attracting a new breed of jet-setter.
Girls wearing two pieces of a bikini are now overdressed on the St. Tropez beaches. After a half-hearted struggle, the Gendarmes have now turned a blind eye to it all, and the girls are free to make the most of the Riviera sun.
St. Tropez has taken over from Cannes as the in place to expose bodies. International playboys mix with wandering hippies in the town that rocketed to summer fame after Brigitte Bardot made her first big film there in 1955.
The new trend is not confined merely to those with something to show. Even the young are getting in on the act -- jetsetters learn their trade early here.
Only a few girls manage to brave the stares in the streets. A tee-shirt, worn without a brassiere, can create a big enough sensation among conservative tourists. There have been reports of restaurant managers ejecting topless customers for, among other things, encouraging fully dressed customers to linger over their food.
Military-style uniforms are the in thing for those who prefer to wear clothes. High fashion has given way to the camouflage look in the super-sophisticated playground -- and the trend is spreading. The jetsetters come here ever year, each with an assurance that they can see something different and more of it every time.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:11th September 1971 13:00