GREECE: GIRL GUIDES RUN ONE OF THE MANY CENTRES SET UP BY VLUNTARY ORGANISATIONS TO PROVIDE AID FOR CYPRUS.
- Title: GREECE: GIRL GUIDES RUN ONE OF THE MANY CENTRES SET UP BY VLUNTARY ORGANISATIONS TO PROVIDE AID FOR CYPRUS.
- Date: 31st August 1974
- Summary: 1. SV Guide emlem ZOOM OUT TO MV girls sorting clothes (2 shots) 0.16 2. SCU Clothes in crtons and bags (2 shots) 0.22 3. SV Girls sorting, folding and pcaking clothes (3 shots) 0.37 4. SV PAN FROM Clothes in boxes TO clothes in cellphane packs 0.42 5. SV Cartons of clothes being sealed 0.48 Initials BB/1702 NPJ/DW/BB/1709 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVADODNIBOS5ECYDLMDQ3RAIQTFK
- Location: ATHENS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Duration: 00:00:50
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: The people of Greece have responded to the plight of the refugees in Cyprus by organising aid shipments to the island. In addition to the help being provided officially by the Greek Government, aid is also coming from many voluntary organisations including the churches, shipowners, industry, trade union and students.
One of the busiest centres set up in Athens is being run by the Greek Girl Guide movement. They are collecting clothes and blankets sent from all over the country. The staff of girls and volunteers pack them and label them, ready for shipment to Limassol. Greek shipowners have offered to transport them to the island free of charge.
While all this voluntary work had been continuing, international moves were being made to introduce some element of coordination into the provision of aid for the refugees. On Friday (30 August) the United Nation Security Council unanimously approved a resolution calling on all parties involved in the Cyprus situation to search for peaceful solutions to the refugee problem in conjunction with the U.N. Secretary-General, and to take appropriate measures to provide for their relief and welfare.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:15th September 1974 13:00