FRANCE: ALBANIAN PM ALEKSANDER MEKSI SIGNS TREATY IN PARIS BETWEEN HIS GOVERNMENT AND FRANCE
- Title: FRANCE: ALBANIAN PM ALEKSANDER MEKSI SIGNS TREATY IN PARIS BETWEEN HIS GOVERNMENT AND FRANCE
- Date: 12th December 1994
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (DECEMBER 12, 1994) (RTV -- ACCESS ALL) 1. SV FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTER ALAIN JUPPE AND ALBANIAN PRIME MINISTER ALEXANDER MEKSI SIGNING COOPERATION AGREEMENT. (3 SHOTS) 0.10 2. SV JUPPE AND MEKSI SHAKING HANDS 0.16 3. SCU JUPPE SAYING FRANCE HAD SUPPORTED FROM THE BEGINNING ALBANIA'S EMERGENCE FROM GLACIATION AND DICTATORSHIP (FRANCE) 0.30 4. SV DELEGATES LISTENING 0.32 5. SV MEKSI SPEAKING ABOUT RELATIONS BETWEEN ALBANIA AND OTHER BALKAN COUNTRIES (ALBANIAN WITH FRENCH TRANSLATION) 1.30 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVAF4NZ8PIZOB2BBVJQJ9FI2LGO2
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:01:34
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Albanian Prime Minister Aleksander Meksi on Monday (December 12) signed a friendship and cooperation treaty in Paris between his government and France.
He also held talks with French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe, who said France has from the beginning supported Albania's progress out of "glaciation and dictatorship." At a press conference, Meksi said a recent decision by Greece to unblock European Union (EU) aid to Albania had improved the chances of relations between the two countries.
Greece had blocked the 18 million United States (U.S.) dollar EU loan after Albania jailed five ethnic Greeks on spying charges.
Meksi said there was now a possibility of dialogue between Albania and Greece, and with other Balkan nations.
Albania, which emerged four years ago from 40 years of hardline Stalinist rule, remains one of Europe's poorest states.
Tens of thousands of Albanians have fled their impoverished Balkan country to seek jobs and hard currency abroad.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th December 1994 12:00