- Title: SOUTH KOREA: WEIGHLIFTING - Another weightlifting world record for Jang
- Date: 29th November 2009
- Summary: AUDIENCE CLAPPING JUDGES ELECTRONIC SCOREBOARD SHOWING NAME OF JAN MI-RAN JANG LIFTING 187 KILOGRAMMES FOR CLEAN AND JERK WORLD RECORD JANG HOLDING HER HANDS TOGETHER AND PRAYING LARGE SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG WAVED BY CHEERING CROWD RUSSIAN KASHIRINA TATIANA SNATCHING ON HER WAY TO SILVER MEDAL JUDGES CHINESE WEIGHTLIFTER MENG SUPING LIFTING IN CLEAN AND JERK CROWD CLAPPING AND CHEERING JANG CLIMBS ONTO PODIUM AND IS PRESENTED WITH GOLD MEDAL CROWD
- Reuters ID: LVA1WKXOILUD78BX46UJ49HQOT4T
- Duration: 00:01:26
- Topics: Sports
- Story Text: South Korea's Jang Mi-ran takes her fourth straight world weightlifting title with new world record.
South Korean Jang Mi-ran broke her own world record and won the world title in the women's over 75kg class at the world weightlifting championships on Saturday (November 28).
Jang, the 2008 Olympic Gold medallist, snatched 136kg and lifted 187kg for the clean and jerk to set a new mark of 323kg for the total.
The 25-year-old improved her own world record, set in August last year in Beijing, by one kg to claim her fourth consecutive world title at the competition held in Goyang, South Korea.
"It's almost right after the Olympics, so I was worried about the pressure, but also I was expecting the title. I feel a bit embarrassed by the snatch record, but the result is fine, when it's compared to the training," said Jang after receiving her gold medal.
Russia's Kashirina Tatiana was the overall silver medallist at the championships, lifting 138kg for the snatch, which was the new junior world record, and 165kg for the clean and jerk, total 303kg.
The bronze medal went to China's Meng Suping, who lifted 140 in the clean and jerk and snatched 131kg.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th December 2009 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None