MONACO: SPORTS STARS AND CELEBRITIES ARRIVE FOR THE LAUREUS WORLD SPORTS AWARDS IN MONTE CARLO
- Title: MONACO: SPORTS STARS AND CELEBRITIES ARRIVE FOR THE LAUREUS WORLD SPORTS AWARDS IN MONTE CARLO
- Date: 21st May 2001
- Summary: MONTE CARLO BEACH HOTEL, MONACO (MAY 21, 2001) (REUTERS) ***CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GVS OF PARTY AT MONTE CARLO BEACH HOTEL SMV DIVER DIVING INTO POOL VARIOUS, OF BAND PLAYING FOR PARTY (3 SHOTS) SMV, WORLD SPORTS AWARDS HOST HEIDE KLUM ARRIVING AND TALKING TO MEDIA
- Reuters ID: LVA9DZRB69PL01UWH8D0X5DST86
- Location: MONTE CARLO, MONACO
- Country: Monaco
- Duration: 00:00:30
- Topics: Entertainment,Sports
- Story Text: Dozens of sporting celebrities and movie stars have been mingling in Monaco in preparation for the Laureus World Sport Awards.
The event, now in its second year, has been established by DaimlerChrysler and the South African company Richemont to honour the achievements of the world's greatest sportsmen and women. The annual TV entertainment spectacular has been described as sport's equivalent of the Academy Awards.
More than eight hundred guests were honoured at the black and white themed party. They were entertained by synchronized swimmers, a diving display, and great sporting movie moments, shown on a large poolside screen.
LeAnn Rimes will sing at the main ceremony tonight (May 22nd) the Laureus anthem, "I Dream", a specially commissioned piece of music. The 18 year old superstar will perform a selection of songs that have sold her 20 million records around the world.
Among the presenters at the main ceremony tonight, will be Jean Claude van Damme, the "muscles from Brussels", and, from Hollywood's A-list, Catherine Zeta-Jones and her husband, producer and actor, Michael Douglas. Among the guests, too, is the British actress Julia Ormond, fresh from appearing at the Cannes Film Festival.
In terms of sport, Steve Redgrave, the rower from Britain, is front-runner to win the World Sportsman of the Year award, while Australia's Cathy Freeman is the favourite in the women's equivalent.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th June 2001 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.