- Title: Australian terrorism suspect appears in Bulgarian court
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: SOFIA, BULGARIA (APRIL 7, 2017) (REUTERS) GATE OF SPECIAL COURT IN SOFIA SIGN READING (Bulgarian): "SPECIALIZED CRIMINAL COURT" COURT PEOPLE IN CORRIDORS SIGN READING (Bulgarian): "SPECIALIZED COURT" PEOPLE IN CORRIDOR SECURITY POLICEMEN AT DOOR VARIOUS OF DEFENDANT JOHN ZAKHARIEV IN COURTROOM JUDGES VARIOUS OF ZAKHARIEV PEOPLE IN COURTROOM (SOUNDBITE) (English) DEFENCE ATTORNEY, HRISTO BOTEV, SAYING: "Almost nothing happened (today), we were hearing from the records of the secret materials, probably the judge is planning to have the sentence on May 16." PEOPLE WAITING PEOPLE LEAVING COURT SECURITY CAMERA
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 14:39
- Keywords: arrest Australia Bulgaria court
- Location: SOFIA, BULGARIA
- City: SOFIA, BULGARIA
- Country: Bulgaria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BEHCNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An Australian man accused of having links to extremist attended trial on Friday (April 7) in Sofia.
The man, named by Bulgarian authorities as John Zakhariev, grew up in Sydney and travelled to Syria after graduating from his eastern suburbs private school.
He was arrested last September and has since been held in custody in the foreigner's wing of the country's maximum security prison pending trial.
According to Bulgarian media reports, the man was found with "jihadist material" and was training to fight in Syria.
Zakhariev's lawyer told Reuters he expects a verdict in his client's case to be handed in May.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None