- Title: Protest against Serbian PM, president-elect Vucic enters fifth day
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: BELGRADE, SERBIA (APRIL 7, 2017) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** PROTESTERS GATHERING IN FRONT OF SERBIAN PARLIAMENT PROTESTERS WITH BANNERS BANNER READING, (Serbian): "AGAINST THE TERROR OF AUTHORITIES" (SOUNDBITE) (Serbian) PROTESTER STEFAN, SAYING: "The people voted like this because nobody had access to the media. All televisions, Pink, Happy and RTS had these authorities, so how could anybody be informed about anything?" (SOUNDBITE) (Serbian) PROTESTER KOCA DENIC, SAYING: "I see this (protest) as the first real showing of the middle finger and some anger to the government, which acts as if it's untouchable." (SOUNDBITE) (Serbian) PROTESTER MILENA GOJKOV, SAYING: "Young people who want something new for this country gathered here. Many young people who work and are highly educated don't want to continue enduring a dictatorship of uneducated people. For me, a fourth-year student of journalism, and many of my colleagues from philosophy and philology (schools) are rallying against people governing this country without any education." PROTESTER HOLDING BANNER READING, (Serbian): "ALL PROFESSORS WITH STUDENTS" / CROWD BLOWING WHISTLES DRUMMERS AT HEAD OF PROTEST MARCH DRUMMERS LEADING PROTEST MARCH VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING PROTESTERS WALKING DOWN STREET BELGRADE, SERBIA (APRIL 7, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHTSHOTS) PROTESTERS WALKING TOWARD GOVERNMENT BUILDING CROWD WALKING TOWARD GOVERNMENT BUILDING PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING, (Serbian): "WE DON'T WANT TO BE CHEAP LABOUR" PROTESTERS ARRIVING AT GOVERNMENT BUILDING PROTESTERS DANCING, CHANTING TO BEAT OF DRUMS PROTESTERS RECORDING WITH MOBILE PHONES WITH FLARE IN BACKGROUND CLOSE-UP OF MOBILE PHONE SCREEN SHOWING LIVE STREAMING TO SOCIAL NETWORK PROTESTERS JUMPING, WAVING FLAGS, BANNERS IN FRONT OF GOVERNMENT BUILDING TO BEAT OF DRUMS, VUVUZELAS CROWD IN FRONT OF GOVERNMENT BUILDING SERBIAN GOVERNMENT BUILDING WITH CROWD OF PROTESTERS IN FRONT
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 21:43
- Keywords: Serbia Belgrade students protest corruption Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic
- Location: BELGRADE, SERBIA
- City: BELGRADE, SERBIA
- Country: Serbia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BEKEH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of protesters, mainly students, rallied for the fifth consecutive day in Belgrade on Friday (April 7) to protest against the overwhelming victory of Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic in a weekend presidential election.
Protesters said they see Vucic as an autocrat and his Serbian Progressive Party as corrupt and instrumental in what they say was a fraudulent election.
Demands posted on social media by one group of students included dismissing the election commission, the media regulator and top editors of the state RTS TV for allegedly failing to facilitate a free and fair vote.
According to the state election commission's preliminary data, Vucic, 47, won on Sunday (April 2) with 55.02 percent of votes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None