- Title: WEST BANK: Stone-throwing clashes erupt in West Bank flashpoint as tensions mount
- Date: 2nd December 2008
- Summary: STONES SCATTERED ON ROOF TOP OF PALESTINIAN HOUSE, DAMAGE BROKEN WINDOW
- Embargoed: 17th December 2008 12:00
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement,International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA9HSV5W1P2IEIAOP05MN59ZSBN
- Story Text: Jewish settlers and Palestinians hurl stones amid mounting tensions in West Bank flashpoint city of Hebron.
Stone-throwing clashes continued on Tuesday (December 2) between Jewish settlers protesting Israeli plans to evacuate them from a building in the West Bank city of Hebron and their Palestinian neighbours.
Hundreds of settlers took to the streets, near the disputed building and hurled stones towards Palestinian neighbours as those hurled stones back.
On Monday (December 1) tensions mounted amid reports Israel forces were preparing to evict them from the disputed building, where 13 Jewish families have been living for a year and a half.
At least two Palestinian cars were set ablaze late late on Monday(December 2) in what Israeli security source described as a riot.
At least four Palestinians, including a 12-year-old boy, were injured in the clashes, according to Palestinian medics in the city.
"Since 23:30 (last night) we were surprised to see large numbers of settlers that exceeded to about a 1,000 settlers who attacked the houses.
In principle, the army was at the site but within half an hour there were no soldiers in the area," said Palestinian resident of Hebron Jamil Abu-Saffen.
Hardline Jewish settlers have vowed to resist an Israeli court order that they leave the building that they insist to bought from a Palestinian.
Hebron is home to some 650 Jewish settlers who live in fortified enclaves guarded by Israeli troops in the heart of the city of 180,000 Palestinians.
Hundreds of settler supporters, mostly youths, have come to the Jewish enclave in the past week to try to prevent the evacuation of the building, raising tensions.
Settlers moved into the disputed building in March 2007.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None