- Title: WEST BANK: Palestinians bury militant killed by Israeli forces in West Bank raid
- Date: 9th July 2007
- Summary: (BN08) JENIN, WEST BANK (JULY 8, 2007) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SCENES) PALESTINIAN AMBULANCE ARRIVING AT HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 24th July 2007 13:00
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA5HW12LGYCY26TW0LTAHJ2CP6T
- Story Text: Palestinian men chant Islamic slogans and fire guns into the air during a funeral procession for an Islamic Jihad militant killed by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank. Palestinian mourners and gunmen on Monday (July 9) marched in a funeral procession for an Islamic Jihad militant who was shot dead by Israeli forces near the occupied West Bank town of Jenin during an overnight raid.
Palestinian residents and hospital officials identified the dead man as a member of the Islamic Jihad militant group and said he had been on Israel's wanted list.
The Israeli army said the militant was killed late on Sunday (July 8) after an undercover unit operating near Jenin came under fire from a car in which four militants were travelling.
The three other men were arrested and the troops seized weapons and munitions, a military spokeswoman said.
A burnt out car was later found in the area but there were no details as to why or how it was set alight.
Israeli forces frequently raid West Bank towns in search of militants suspected of involvement in attacks against Israelis.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None