- Title: PHILIPPINES: Ban Ki-moon visits Philippines to survey typhoon recovery
- Date: 20th December 2013
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (DECEMBER 20, 2013) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF NINOY AQUINO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TERMINAL 1 BUILDING VARIOUS OF UNITED NATIONS SECRETARY-GENERAL BAN KI-MOON WALKING IN ARRIVAL AREA INSIDE AIRPORT WITH PHILIPPINE FOREIGN AFFAIRS SECRETARY ALBERT DEL ROSARIO CAMERAMEN FILMING BAN KI-MOON WAVING AS HE WALKS TOWARDS VIP ROOM
- Embargoed: 4th January 2014 12:00
- Location: Philippines
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Crime,International Relations,Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVABE48K95IQYTVXLGRP8K4G02CO
- Story Text: U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon arrived in Manila, the capital of the Philippines, on Friday evening (December 20) to visit typhoon-hit areas of the country.
He will meet with President Benigno Aquino on Saturday (December 21), before travelling to Tacloban City, the capital of Leyte province that bore the brunt of Typhoon Haiyan.
The storm reduced almost everything in its path to rubble when it swept ashore in the central Philippines on November 8, killing at least 6,069 people, leaving 1,779 missing and four million either homeless or with damaged homes.
Power has been restored to less than one per cent of Tacloban City, while city administrators have said an average of 25 bodies are pulled from the rubble each day.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN OCHA), has announced plans to raise $791 million to fund direct assistance to typhoon victims via food aid, shelter, and access to water, health and sanitation services.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None