- Title: VARIOUS: Twenty-five banks fail Europe's "stress test"
- Date: 26th October 2014
- Summary: ATHENS, GREECE (FILE - 2014) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF BANK OF CYPRUS SIGN READING (Greek and English): "BANK OF CYPRUS" EXTERIOR OF HELLENIC BANK HELLENIC BANK ATM MACHINE HELLENIC BANK EXTERIOR EXTERIOR OF NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE DETAIL OF NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE LETTERS ON WALL READING (English): "NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE" EXTERIOR PIREUS BANK SIGN READING (English): "PIREUS BANK" EXTERIOR EUROBANK SIGN READING EUROBANK LISBON, PORTUGAL (FILE) (REUTERS) CAR DRIVING / MARQUES DE POMBAL SQUARE IN THE FOREGROUND MARQUES DE POMBAL SQUARE EXTERIOR OF MILLENNIUM BANCO COMMERCIAL PORTUGUES BRANCH MILLENNIUM BANCO COMMERCIAL PORTUGUES SIGN WOMAN WITHDRAWING MONEY AT MILLENNIUM BANCO COMMERCIAL PORTUGUES ATM SIENA, ITALY (FILE - JUNE 27, 2012) (REUTERS) HEADQUARTERS OF ITALY'S OLDEST BANK, MONTE PASCHI DI SIENA ENTRANCE TO MONTE DEI PASCHI DI SIENA PEOPLE ENTERING BANK SIGN READING (Italian): "MONTE DEI PASCHI"
- Embargoed: 10th November 2014 12:00
- Location: Austria, Italy, Greece, Slovenia, France
- Country: Greece Austria Italy Slovenia France
- Topics: Finance
- Reuters ID: LVAAY8YQO4436DJ3DL2H97HHJBG9
- Story Text: Roughly one in five of the euro zone's top lenders failed landmark health checks at the end of last year but most have since repaired their finances, the European Central Bank announced on Sunday (October 26).
Under a European Bank Authority (EBA) healthcheck, 24 banks fell short of a target to hold common equity of 5.5 percent or more of their risk-weighted assets under a stressed 3-year recession scenario, based on their balance sheets at the end of 2013.
Any bank falling short of that level needs to take action to get to that target, and the EBA said 14 banks still had work to do at the end of September 2014.
Another bank, Spain's Liberbank, narrowly passed the EBA's target but its capital starting point was deemed to have been below a target set by the European Central Bank for banks in the euro zone.
The following is a list of the 25 banks, which failed the EBA health checks:
AXA Bank Europe
Bank of Cyprus
Co-operative Central Bank
National Bank of Greece
Banca Monte dei Paschi
Banca Piccolo Credito Valtellinese
Banca Pop Dell'Emilia Romagna
Banca Pop di Milano
Banca Pop di Sondrio
Banca Pop di Vicenza
Banca Pop Societa Cooperativa
Banco Comercial Portugues
Nova Kreditna Banka Maribor
Nova Ljubljanska banka
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None