- Title: MACEDONIA: ABOUT 1,0000 ETHNIC ALBANIANS CROSS INTO MACEDONIA
- Date: 19th May 1999
- Summary: SENOKOS CAMP, MACEDONIA (MAY 19, 1999) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. SLV/SV BUSES ON ROAD FROM BLACE TO SENOKOS CAMP/ REFUGEES GET OFF BUSES (11 SHOTS) 1.03 2. MCU(albanian)WOMAN SPEAKS:"The police took away all our money. We have been going back and forth, one day here, one day there trying to get across the border" 1.23 3. SLV/SV REFUGEES REGISTER/ OLD WOMAN IS HELPED ALONG/ REFUGEES GATHER (8 SHOTS) 2.09 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 3rd June 1999 13:00
- Location: SENOKOS, MACEDONIA
- Country: Macedonia
- Reuters ID: LVA40JM24U9CTYVVPSUTNJ7FQL56
- Story Text: About 1,000 ethnic Albanians have crossed into
Macedonia and aid agencies say refugees are now being driven
out of Kosovo not only by Serbian terror but also by fear of
A large group of the refugees arrived in buses on
Wednesday (May 19) at a new camp in Senekos.
Aid agencies believe there are up to 40,000 refugees
trapped just over the border in Kosovo and that many are being
kept against their will as human shields.
One of the first arrivals at Senekos camp told how the
refugees had to pay money to the Serb police to let them
"The police took away all our money.We have been going
back and forth, one day here, one day there trying to get
across the border", she said.
The new camp opened on the same day the Macedonian
president Kiro Gligorov urged the international community to
honour its committment to take more of the refugees and ease
the burden on Macedonia itself.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None