- Title: ALBANIA: ICRC DELIVERS AID TO HOSPITALS AND ORPHANAGES
- Date: 19th April 1997
- Summary: VLORE, ALBANIA (APRIL 19, 1997) (RTV(A) - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV HOSPITAL GATES/ SV SIGN (2 SHOTS) 0.09 2. LV AID TRUCK ARRIVING (2 SHOTS) 0.19 3. SLV/SV PATIENTS HELPING TO UNLOAD SUPPLIES (5 SHOTS) 0.53 4. SV RED CROSS WORKER 0.57 5. SV MORE OF FOOD AID BEING CARRIED INTO HOSPITAL 1.04 6. SV RED CROSS OFFICER BARBARA JAGGI SAYING "THE SUPPLY CHANNELS OF FOOD HAVE BEEN CUT OFF SO THEY REALLY ARE IN DESPERATE NEED OF FOOD" (ENGLISH) 1.16 7. SV MORE OF AID BEING UNLOADED/ STORED INSIDE HOSPITAL (2 SHOTS) 1.30 8. LV/SV PATIENTS IN HOSPITAL (4 SHOTS) 1.46 9. TV/SV AID TRUCK OUTSIDE ORPHANAGE/ STAFF UNLOADING FOOD (3 SHOTS) 2.05 10. GV/SV BABIES IN COTS AT THE ORPHANAGE (6 SHOTS) 2.28 Initials s3, p3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 4th May 1997 13:00
- Location: VLORE, ALBANIA
- Country: Albania
- Reuters ID: LVA8CQX0HPVTNFKDT6DHC10IFBPZ
- Story Text: INTRO: The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) delivered aid to a psychiatric and general hospital and three orphanages in the rebel-held port of Vlore 150 km (90 miles) south of Tirana on Saturday.
Extremely malnourished patients at Vlore's Ali Mihali psychiatric hospital helped to unload bags of rice, flour and soap from a truck as soon as the Red Cross supply truck arrived on Saturday (April 19).
The hospital houses 250 mental patients over the age of 14 and before the Red Cross supplies arrived food stocks had reached crisis point.
Patients were so excited by the aid arrival that many braved the outdoor elements with torn clothes and no shoes, to help with the unloading.
"These patients have received very little food in recent weeks," said Red Cross officer Barbara Jaggi.
The aid charity also delivered food and medical supplies to an orphanage in Vlore on Saturday. The orphanage is home to 60 children aged seven years and under.
Supplies of food and medicines to hospitals, orphanages and homes for the handicapped and elderly have been severely disrupted by the turmoil in Europe's poorest nation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None