- Title: USA: 'INDEPENDENCE DAY' PREMIERES IN LOS ANGELES
- Date: 25th June 1996
- Summary: ROBIN WILLIAMS
- Embargoed: 10th July 1996 13:00
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
- Country: USA
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA4OHDIOUIEGJF885ZFFOOUKQNO
- Story Text: Film company 20th Century Fox is hoping for a summer blockbuster with the release of the science-fiction film, "Independence Day".
The film premiered in Los Angeles on Tuesday (June 25) and will be released on July 2. Its makers hope it will fill cinema seats across the United States (U.S.) but British audiences will have to wait until August to have their say on the sci-fi spectacular.
The plot of the 100-million U.S. film, familiar from old science fiction stories, involves the earth being invaded by super-powerful, alien hordes.
After two days of watching their cities being destroyed and their population decimated, the people of Earth strike back.
The launch of the movie was preceded by the now standard blockbuster publicity campaign. The movie makers also expected to make a large profit from licensing characters from the film to toy makers.
Toy shops across the U.S. were already fully stocked with "Independence Day" products a week before the movie was due to open.
The film stars Will Smith, Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum and Robert Loggia.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None