- Title: RUSSIA: Bolshoi presents new version of Prokofiev's "Cinderella"
- Date: 9th February 2006
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JANUARY 31, 2006) (REUTERS) WIDE OF THE BOLSHOI THEATRE NEW STAGE HALL; SPECTATORS ON THE BALCONY; CHANDELIER FRAGMENT OF SERGEI PROKOFIEV'S BALLET "CINDERELLA", CHOREOGRAPHY BY YURI POSOKHOV
- Embargoed: 24th February 2006 12:00
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA1SHH58Y8TILR0CN46F9371UPS
- Story Text: Last time Sergei Prokofiev's ballet "Cinderella" was staged at the Bolshoi in 1945, after the end of the WWII, when country was still in ruins. With its humour and grand melodies, that staging by ballet master, Rostislav Zakharov, quickly became a popular repertory item and ran until 1973.
Now, 60 years later, the fairy-tale returns to Moscow.
Choreographing the new "Cinderella" is Yuri Posokhov, former Bolshoi soloist, who at present is a principal dancer and choreographer at the San Francisco Ballet. For him "Cinderella" is the first shot at a full-length ballet.
"Everything different (in this version of the ballet).
Approach different and feelings different. When I used to work here 12 years ago and now - its different generation.
I love new generation. They feel life now, they moving differently and I love it. I like to create new pieces. So, I have chance now to do it," said Yuri Posokhov during the break in the rehearsal.
The new version of "Cinderella" is a result of efforts of international team. American Sandra Woodall designed costumes for nearly 50 dancers, while Hans Dieter Schaal from Germany came up with the imaginative stage designs.
Though, because of the renovation of the main historical stage Bolshoi now has only one, smaller venue, it does not slow down its pace with five big multi-act performances planned for the season of 2006-2007.
During the premiere, the Cinderella will be danced by the Bolshoi's star ballerina Svetlana Zakharova. It is not an easy task, considering that among her predecessors were such legendary dancers as Olga Lepeshinskaya, Yekaterina Maximova, Marina Semyonova and Galina Ulanova. But Svetlana Zakharava thinks she managed to create her own interpretation of Cinderella.
"My Cinderella is not like the one you'll find in the fairy tale. Sure, you'll see - a shoe, a pumpkin, various fairy tale characters. But my Cinderella came to the ball with a certain goal. There she didn't just accidentally bumped into prince. She arranged it so, that the prince had to notice her. Because, there were a lot of people there, a lot of ladies and at first prince don't notice her. So, Cinderella had to slide down the balustrade right into the prince's arms. I think its a very good trick," said Svetlana Zakharova during a brief meeting in a rehearsal room backstage at the Bolshoi Theatre.
Cast in the lead role of the Prince is Bolshoi's principal dancer Sergei Filin. It is the first time he dances in this ballet.
"I very much like the rehearsal process and working process, I like the way it all come together and how the performance looks. I hope this ballet will be successful and will be one of the bright events in the life of the Bolshoi theatre," said Sergei Filin during the dress rehearsal.
Prokofiev's "Cinderella", like "Swan Lake" or "Nutcracker" is considered the symbol of the classical Russian ballet.
But Yuri Posokhov's staging offers not only a new version of the events, with Sergei Prokofiev himself being one of the characters, but also a new modern approach to the classical dance. The new "Cinderella" might upset Moscow's more conservative ballet-goers, but will definitely delight those who welcome the Bolshoi's experiments.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio or Performance restriction: This clip's Audio or Performance footage includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip. Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.