- Title: ALGERIA: Country hosts festival promoting African culture in Algiers
- Date: 5th July 2009
- Summary: WOMAN HOLDING SMALL CHILD STANDING AMONG SPECTATORS PARADE PARTICIPANT PLAYING WIND INSTRUMENT GROUP OF FEMALE SPECTATORS CLAPPING WHILE WATCHING PARADE PARADE PARTICIPANTS KNEELING ON KNEES FIRING SHOTGUNS IN AIR PARADE PARTICIPANTS RIDING HORSES FIRING SHOTGUNS IN AIR FESTIVAL FLOAT GOING THROUGH STREET / CHILDREN WATCHING CHILDREN SEATED ON SIDEWALK AND SPECTATORS STANDING BEHIND BARRICADES WATCHING ONGOING PARADE TWO MEN STANDING ON CAMELS HOLDING ALGERIAN FLAG MEN ON CAMELS MARCHING THROUGH PARADE YOUNG WOMAN HOLDING CHILD MAKING CHEERING NOISE AS PARADE GOES THROUGH PEOPLE STANDING IN BALCONY WATCHING PARADE / SIGN READING "SOUTH AFRICA" HANGING BELOW PARADE PARTICIPANT DANCING ON STREET PARADE SPECTATORS DANCING AND CHEERING THREE PARADE PARTICIPANTS DANCING ATOP FLOAT VARIOUS OF PARADE PARTICIPANTS DANCING IN STREET VEILED WOMAN HOLDING BAG DANCING ON STREET (SOUNDBITE) (French) SABRINA, A SPECTATOR, SAYING: "The impressions are totally splendid. It is a total discovery. Personally, I adore it. It is splendid. The colours, the music, the ambience, everything is great." VARIOUS OF SPECTATORS APPLAUDING AND CHEERING PARADE FLOAT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MADAM LAKHDARI, A SPECTATOR, SAYING: "It is a splendid festival. The organisation is very precise, until now. The participants are so far marching with utmost precision and organisation." VARIOUS OF PARADE SPECTATORS CHEERING DANCERS DRESSED IN AFRICAN GARMENTS MARCHING IN PARADE SPECTATORS STANDING BEHIND BARRICADES CHEERING VARIOUS OF PARADE PARTICIPANTS
- Embargoed: 20th July 2009 13:00
- Location: Algeria
- Country: Algeria
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA5ID2Q3LWHKSY8MXEMUWLVQROH
- Story Text: Algeria hosts, "Africa: Revival and Rebirth" a pan-African festival featuring more than 8,000 participants from Africa.
Algeria kicked-off a large gathering of participants, estimated at 8,000 people, on Saturday (July 4) for the opening of the Second Pan-African Cultural Festival in Algiers.
The last time the country hosted the first version of this event was almost 40 years ago, a time where most of its current participants were struggling for independence.
The festival, which coincides with Algerian Independence Day on July 5, is running under the theme, "Africa: Revival and Rebirth" and hopes to revive the people's spirit following more than a decade of civil strife during which at least 200,000 people died.
One official, Zouaoui Benamadi, the head of communication for the event said Algeria needs to heal after years of bloodshed.
OPEC member Algeria also hopes to use Panaf 2009 as an opportunity to boost its diplomatic role in Africa.
Some figures said up to 8,000 artists representing 48 countries including the United States and Brazil, which are attending as special guests, are slated to participate in Panaf 2009, which will be held in Algiers from July 5th-20th, 2009.
Other countries slated to take part include those with a large population of african immigrants, such as Cuba and Venezuela.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: please see Business Notes for more information.