- Title: LIBYA: Rebels to seek return of Gaddafi family from Algeria
- Date: 30th August 2011
- Summary: TRIPOLI, LIBYA (AUGUST 29, 2011) (REUTERS) LIBYA REBEL FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) NATIONAL TRANSITIONAL COUNCIL (NTC) INFORMATION REPRESENTATIVE, MAHMOUD SHAMMAM, SAYING: "This is an act of aggression against the Libyan people and their wishes and aspirations. We will use all legal measures to extradite these criminals and put them on trial, regardless of anything else. We warn anyone who attempts to harbour Gaddafi or his family that in doing so, they will become an enemy of the Libyan people and the Libyan people will pursue them all over the world." MAHMOUD SHAMMAM GETTING INTO CAR
- Embargoed: 14th September 2011 13:00
- Location: Libya
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Crime,Conflict,International Relations,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA4BTZHB9CLMYTE5UO3JU8OU9I9
- Story Text: Libya's de facto government said on Monday (August 29) it considers Algeria's sheltering of members of fallen strongman Muammar Gaddafi's family an act of aggression and will seek their extradition.
Gaddafi's wife Safia, his daughter Aisha and his sons Hannibal and Mohammed entered Algeria on Monday morning, Algeria's foreign ministry said, according to the state Algeria Press Service.
"This is an act of aggression against the Libyan people and their wishes and aspirations. We will use all legal measures to extradite these criminals and put them on trial," said Mahmoud Shammam, a spokesman for the National Transitional Council.
Libyan rebel officials have previously accused Algeria of backing Gaddafi in the country's civil war, an allegation Algeria has denied.
Algerian Foreign Minister Mourad Medelci held talks with a senior Libyan rebel official, the highest-level contact in months of fraught relations between Libya's new leadership and their Algerian neighbours, APS reported earlier on Monday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None