- Title: ALGERIA: LAYING HASSI R'MEL-ARZEW NATURAL GAS PIPELINE.
- Date: 9th August 1960
- Summary: 1. LV PAN .. From soldier in jeep PAN to work on pipeline. 0.05 2. LV Ditto. 0.08 3. CU Soldier in jeep. 0.11 4. LV Ditto. 0.15 5. LV Another jeep. 0.17 6. SV Workmen joining sections of pipe. 0.24 7. CU Man welding pipeline. 0.27 8. FULL CU.. Ditto. 0.30 9. SV Pipes being bound. 0.35 10. SV Ditto. 0.40 11. LV Ditto. 0.42 12. SV Man watches tractor. 0.45 13. SV Man stands by completed pipeline. 0.49 14. STV PAN.. Work continues. 0.57 Initials JRG/IM/S/MR/AS Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 24th August 1960 13:00
- Location: Orleansville, W. Algeria
- Country: Algeria
- Reuters ID: LVA2H5UIANGP4D8D6SWCU4SLOKKA
- Story Text: Laying a 650-kilometre-long natural gas pipeline from the world's third largest gas field at Hassi R'Mel in central Algeria to the small village of Arzew on the coast near Oran, Western Algeria, is due to completion October, 1960.
Mechanical trench diggers, pipe-layers and teams of workers are at work on the project. Arzew, today a small fishing port, in the future may well become as important as Algeria's oil terminal at Bougie. Arzew as an industrial centre will operate on the Hassi R'Mel gas direct from the pipeline without any need for refining.
Hassi R'Mel's known reserves are large enough to supply France's power needs for the next 25 years. The pipeline to Arzew is part of France's five-year development plan for Algeria. A future project: to pipe the gas under the Mediterranean to Cartagena, Spain, then to France.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None