- Title: ALGERIA: DELEGATES ARRIVE IN ALGIERS FOR "77" ECONOMIC CONFERENCE.
- Date: 9th October 1967
- Summary: DELEGATES ARRIVING. Initials DHC/VS/CCT/EEH Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 24th October 1967 13:00
- Location: ALGIERS, ALGERIA
- Country: Algeria
- Reuters ID: LVA4LFFORVBVWS6K56ZVTFGY1EKK
- Story Text: Delegations from Niger, Malaysia, Pakistan, and South American countries arrived in Algiers, Algeria, yesterday (Sunday) to take part in the "77" Economic Conference which is due to begin tomorrow. The Conference is so called because 77 countries attended the first United Nations conference on Trade and Development which took place in Geneva in 1964. Nine newly independent countries have joined the 77, so when the conference opens tomorrow 86 countries will be represented, by some 800 delegates.
Among the delegates arriving yesterday were Mr. Asanedo Da Silveira of Brazil, M. Jean Poisson of Niger, and Mr. Nawabzada Abdul Ghaffoor Khan Hoti of Pakistan.
The delegates were greeted by Mr. Tedjini Hadan, Algerian Minister of Health.
Many of the countries to be represented at the Conference have been taking part in regional group meetings prior to the main discussions.
The conference has been called specifically so that the developing countries can decide on a common line to adopt in the face of the giant industrialised nations.
Decisions reached at the Conference will be used in New Delhi next year when the poorer countries meet the rich ones at the second United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None