- Title: FRANCE: NINA RICCI SPRING-SUMMER COLLECTION UNVEILED IN PARIS.
- Date: 18th January 1997
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JANUARY 18, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/MV: NINA RICCI SPRING-SUMMER HAUTE COUTURE FASHION SHOW (10 SHOTS) 2.01 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 2nd February 1997 12:00
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA3AKP7XG16WLH555B0D231QXKN
- Story Text: INTRO: The spring-summer haute couture shows started off this week-end with the Nina Ricci collection.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Nina Ricci launched the Spring-Summer haute couture shows on Saturday (January 18) bringing a welcome respite from the winter blues.
Gerard Pipart, Haute Couture designer for Nina Ricci, said his collection was intended to help women escape from the gloom of winter.
His clothes were colourful, the fabrics soft and light and his leitmotif for the collection was the bird. He wanted women, he said, to be like beautiful, soaring birds this summer and his daysuits, cocktail dresses and evening robes all carried this theme.
Three birds in particular inspired the dresses: the humming bird, the dove and the nightingale. The effect was created with the use of feathers, on hats, headdresses and as appendages to sleeves and in the choice of fabric colour - partly pastel, partly puce, jade and emerald.
The cut of the clothes was in keeping with Nina Ricci's modest and more mature look which generally appeals to an older customer.
Skirts were long, full and layered, almost flamenco in feel, jackets had wide shoulders and tight-waists and were accompanied by blouses styled along the "Marilyn Monroe" look, Pipart said, as well as wide brimmed hats.
Pipart said he wanted his clothes to be as fluid and as easy to wear as possible, hence the extensive use of muslin, tulle and silk as well as organza and crepe for the evening dresses, which had sequined bodices or frou-frou necklines rendering the clothes very feminine.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None