- Title: COLOMBIA: MAN CHALLENGES WORLD RECORD FOR COVERING HIMSELF IN BEES
- Date: 15th September 2005
- Summary: (BN03) BUCARAMANGA, COLOMBIA (SEPTEMBER 15, 2005) (REUTERS) 1. MARIN WEIGHING BOXES OF BEES 2. NUMBERS ON SCALE 3. MARIN LOOKING AT WEIGHT 4. PEOPLE LOOKING ON 5. VARIOUS OF MARIN GETTING BEES READY/SPRAYING BEES 6. PEOPLE LOOKING ON 7. VARIOUS OF BEEKEEPERS PUTTING SMOKE ON MARIN 8. MARIN TAKING QUEEN BEE 9. VARIOUS OF BEES FLYING ONTO MARIN'S BODY 10. PEOPLE LOOKING ON 11. VARIOUS OF MARIN COVERED WITH BEES 12. WIDE OF AREA 13. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) AMANDA ROSERO, OBSERVER, SAYING: "I think it's marvellous because whomever risks doing this.. One is scared of any bug but really, they don't do anything. They're pretty." 14. VARIOUS OF MARIN COVERED WITH BEES 15. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) NORBERTO MARIN, BEEKEEPER SAYING: "Good, good, I feel good and if we didn't set the record, we'll do it in again in 30 days but we will do it (set the record). (Reporter asks, "How do you feel?") Hot, bitten, I've been bitten by like three." 16. PEOPLE LOOKING ON 17. VARIOUS OF MARIN RAISING HIS ARMS 18. GIRL GOES UP ON PLATFORM TO GREET MARIN 19. VARIOUS OF MARIN SHAKING BEES OFF HIS BODY 20. MEN HELPING MARIN 21. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) NORBERTO MARIN, BEEKEEPER, SAYING: "Yes, we broke it because it was at 350,000. (Reporter asks, 'But you didn't reach the 900,000?') No, because I know the numbers of bees for sure and the weight was not enough for 900,000 but it was for more than half a million bees. (Reporter asks, 'Are you satisfied?') Yes, of course, just some bites. Above all, they touched me there and they bit me several times." 22. MOON AND BEES FLYING AROUND 3.23 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 30th September 2005 13:00
- Location: BUCARAMANGA, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Reuters ID: LVA49R5NJFTHO6FJ8G8GH307MQXU
- Story Text: Hundreds of thousands of bees cover a Colombian man
setting what he says is a new world's record.
Hundreds of thousands of bees landed on a Colombian man on Thursday (September 15) which he says set a new world's record.
Norberto Marin stood in a shopping centre in Bucaramanga, Colombia, 350km north of Bogota, as the queen bee was placed on his left arm. Soon, half a million additional bees followed, covering him from head to toe.
As a crowd looked on, Marin stood covered in bees for an hour and said he was bitten several times although he didn't reach his goal of 900,000 bees.
"No (I didn't reach 900,000 bees), because I know the numbers of
bees for sure and the weight was not enough for 900,000 but it was for more than half a million bees."
The former world's record of 350,000 bees was set in 1998 in
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None