- Title: THAILAND: THE ANNUAL "LOY KRATHONG" FESTIVAL
- Date: 6th November 1995
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (NOVEMBER 6, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV SWIMMING POOL, FLOWERS AND LITTLE BOATS FLOATING ON WATER 0.07 2. SV PEOPLE WALKING TO CHAO PHRAYA RIVER BANK WITH FLOWER BOATS AND CANDLES 0.18 3. SV FULL MOON 0.21 4. SCU TWO FOREIGNERS PREPARING TO LAUNCH KRATHONGS 0.29 5. SV MAN HELPING GIRL TO RELEASE KRATHONG INTO THE RIVER 0.39 6. SV KRATHONGS ON RIVER 0.45 7. SV FIREWORKS OVER RIVER 0.51 8. SV YOUNG COUPLE PRAY 1.02 9. SV KRATHONGS BEING RELEASED INTO RIVER 1.22 10. SV PEOPLE SWIMMING IN WATER WITH KRATHONGS 1.31 11. SV FIREWORKS OVER CHAO PHRAYA RIVER 1.44 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA90F59U7JU7USLXQXHKFNNZ5VI
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Duration: 00:01:46
- Story Text: Thousands of Thais and tourists crowded the river banks of Bangkok and flooded its streets under a full moon late on Monday (November 6) to launch small flower-draped, banana-leaf boats into the water, marking the annual "Loy Krathong" festival.
The crowds lit candles on the tiny boats or "krathongs", said a brief prayer and pushed them into the river as colourful fireworks lit up the night skies.
This year's devastating floods meant many residents didn't need to walk to the banks of Bangkok's main Chao Phya river to launch their krathongs. They just leaned out of their front porches and released them into the flooded streets.
The krathong festival is held every year, under a full moon, on a November night and is in honour of water spirits.
The krathongs, which also contain incense and other offerings, are launched into the river to cleanse the previous year's sins and bring good luck for the future.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:21st November 1995 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None