- Title: UK: LONDON'S HISTORIC TOWER BRIDGE ENGINES UP FOR SALE.
- Date: 12th March 1975
- Summary: GV Tower Bridge opening SV Boat approaching MCU Operator turning handle CU Engine MV Pressure clocks for steam engine CU Engine working MV Indicator board CU Engine room (3 shots) GV Tower Brides being raised MV Working engine MV Boat passing under bridge CU Engine working (4 shots) SV Boat passes through bridge Initials CL/2125 CL/2140 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA6EDN9EKO6VA3ORFLU7BD3F6J2
- Location: LONDON, U.K.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:01:09
- Topics: General,Technology
- Story Text: One of London's famous tourist attractions is being modernised. As a result, three rather unusual engines are being offered for sale.
The 20-ton hydraulic engines are among four installed at each end of the bridge to raise the two huge 1,100 ton (tonne) bascules over which road traffic passes.
The engines were installed when the bridge was opened in 1894 since then have raised the bascules more than half a million times without faltering. They still work as well as they did when installed but are being replaced by more economical electrical equipment.
The other five hydraulic monsters will remain in place and, with two steam pumping engines, will form a museum.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 1975 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None