- Title: LIBYA: YUGOSLAV-ASSISTED DAM PROJECT TO CONSERVE WATER IN LIBYA.
- Date: 6th September 1971
- Summary: 1. GV Dam 0.08 2. GV & MV Boulders being lowered into position (2 shots) 0.14 3. MV & GV RAN workman welding PAN TO crane lowering boulders (5 shots) 0.38 4. MV Workmen drilling 0.42 5. GV Part of dam 0.45 6. GV TILT DOWN mechanical digger being operated 0.51 7. CU ZOOM OUT TO MV Yugoslav workman and MV ditto working on project (3 shots) 1.04 8. GV ZOOM IN TO MV loader in operation 1.15 9. MV Workmen 1.20 10. MV ZOOM OUT TO GV dump trucks leaving dam site 1.34 Initials DS/2238 DS/2248 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAB21YJYFF5F1TER7H7YPPH77F2
- Location: NEAR TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Duration: 00:01:36
- Story Text: The Government of Yugoslavia has combined with Libyan authorities in a joint project to conserve badly needed water during the summer months near Tripoli. The project, consisting of a series of dams, will also help prevent serious flooding in winter.
The project is staffed by 350 Yugoslavs and 350 Libyan workmen, assisted by Egyptian and Tunisian engineers.
SYNOPSIS: The Government of Yugoslavia has combined with Libyan authorities in constructing dams near Tripoli to conserve badly-needed water during the summer months, and to prevent flooding in winter.
The scheme consists of a series of dams the Wadi El Megenin area. All materials are quarried near the site, and the dams will be constructed of rock and concrete Several smaller auxiliary dams are being built of boulders and pressure-packed rock.
The project was started in 1969, and is expected to go into operation later this year. The Libyans and the Yugoslavs are sharing the work load and the finance -- there are 350 workmen form each country and engineers from Egypt and Tunisia. The general director of the whole scheme is only 26 years old, and has already become known for his engineering skill. There is also to be a permanent community set up near the dam sites for the project operators and their families.
The engineers are confident that the reservoir formed by the dams will be large enough to hold back any severe floods in winter, and at the same time conserve enough water to irrigate Tripoli's surrounding areas in the summer.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:21st September 1971 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None