YUGOSLAVIA: A FUNERAL HAS BEEN HELD FOR SENIOR BELGRAE OFFICIAL VESELIN BOSKOVIC KILLED IN A HEAD-ON COLLISIONRecord ID: 636770
- Title: YUGOSLAVIA: A FUNERAL HAS BEEN HELD FOR SENIOR BELGRAE OFFICIAL VESELIN BOSKOVIC KILLED IN A HEAD-ON COLLISION
- Date: 5th October 1999
- Summary: BELGRADE, YUGOSLAVIA. (OCTOBER 5, 1999) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. PAN FROM THE CHURCH ON TO THE COFFIN 0.08 2. MCU RELATIVE CRYING OVER THE COFFIN 0.10 3. MCU VUK DRASKOVIC KISSING THE COFFIN 0.23 4. SV MOURNERS AROUND COFFIN 0.28 5. MCU NUNS HOLDING CANDLES 0.33 6. LAS/SV/SLV OF THE PROCESSION (4 SHOTS) 0.58 7. MCU OF FAMILY MEMBERS IN MOURNING, INCLUDING VUK DRASKOVIC'S WIFE DANICA 1.09 8. SLV/SV FAMILY IN MOURNING (2 SHOTS) 1.15 9. SV FEET IN FUNERAL PROCESSION 1.20 10. LV OF PREOCESSION 1.25 11. SV DRASKOVIC AND HIS WIFE AMONG MOURNERS 1.36 12. SLV COFFIN BEING PUT NEAR GRAVE 1.48 13. SV ELDERY MOUNRER BEING HELPED 1.57 14. LV OF FUNERAL CEREMONY (2 SHOTS) 2.04 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA6GS3QSD0BNGEITV8JT08WJ815
- Location: BELGRADE, YUGOSLAVIA
- Country: Yugoslavia
- Duration: 00:02:04
- Story Text: A funeral has been held for senior Belgrade official
Veselin Boskovic killed in a head-on collision on Sunday.His
brother in-law, opposition leader Vuk Draskovic survived the
accident, and was amoung the mourners at the burial service.
While immediate family and close friends bade their
final farwells to Veselin Boskovic in a sombre Orthodox
funeral on Tuesday (October 5), his brother-in-law Vuk
Draskovic has invited opposition supporters to rally at the
Topcider cemetary in honour of those who died.
Boskovic was among five men travelling in two separate cars
involved in a collision with an on-coming truck on Sunday
Draskovic sustained slight injuries and was the only
survivor of the crash.
Vuk Draskovic's lawyer said on Monday (October 4) that
police have found the driver of the truck that Serbian
opposition leader Vuk Draskovic said tried to kill him.
Draskovic's political adviser, Milan Bozic has said the
party would not jump to "premature conclusions" on
responsibility, but that it would carry out an investigation
into all "possible enemies."
At a commemoration service on Monday (October 4) for the
dead, a sombre Draskovic, bearing bruises on his face, said:
"I am to blame for being alive.
"The killer truck commissioned to murder me killed everyone
in two cars except me...but in fact it killed me too.It was
only by some miracle I stayed alive."
SPO officials and police earlier said the truck driver had
disappeared from the scene of the crash, 60 km (35 miles)
south of Belgrade.
Draskovic served briefly in the Yugoslav government as
deputy prime minister.He was fired in April because of policy
disagreements during NATO's 11-week air war against
The SPO has so far refused to join daily demonstrations
against President Milosevic organised by the Alliance for
Change, the other wing of the opposition.The protests were
set to continue for a 14th straight day on Monday evening.
Draskovic has described the rallies as a waste of time,
warning that they could lead to civil war, saying instead
Milosevic should be defeated at the ballot box.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:20th October 1999 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None