INDONESIA: INDONESIAN MOSLEMS SLAUGHTER GOAT AND SMEAR IT'S BLOOD ON CROSS DURING PROTEST AGAINST HOLY WAR WITH CHRISTIANS IN MOLUCCAS ISLANDSRecord ID: 636790
- Title: INDONESIA: INDONESIAN MOSLEMS SLAUGHTER GOAT AND SMEAR IT'S BLOOD ON CROSS DURING PROTEST AGAINST HOLY WAR WITH CHRISTIANS IN MOLUCCAS ISLANDS
- Date: 5th January 2000
- Summary: JAKARTA, INDONESIA (JANUARY 6, 2000) (REUTERS) 1. SLV: VARIOUS OF PROTESTORS HOLDING BANNERS, CHANTING (2 SHOTS) 0.14 2. SLV: PROTESTORS MARCHING ON STREET 0.19 3. SV: TWO SOLDIERS WATCHING WITH PROTESTORS ON BACKGROUND 0.23 4. CLOSEUP OF BANNER 0.29 5. SV: MEN HOLDING BANNER CHANTING "Down with Mega" (VICE PRESIDENT MEGAWATI SUKARNOPUTRI) 0.36 6. LV: PROTESTORS ON STREET 0.41 7. LOW SHOT OF PROTESTORS MARCHING ON STREET 0.47 8. CLOSEUP OF MAN SHOUTING "Allahuakbar" 0.52 9. WIDE OF PROTESTORS SITTING INSIDE MOSQUE 0.58 10. MEDIUM SHOT OF MOSLEM LEADER MAKING SPEECH 1.03 11. SV: (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) MOSLEM CLERIC SAYING: "Prosecute them are guilty and who have violated us. Whoever they may be" 1.10 12. LV: PROTESTORS SHOUTING "Allahuakbar", HOLDING FISTS UP 1.17 13. SV: PROTESTORS CHANTING OUTSIDE 1.23 14. CLOSEUP OF GOAT SLAUGHTERED BY PROTESTORS 1.34 15. SLV: PROTESTORS SMEARING BLOOD ON CROSS 1.40 16. SV: MORE OF PROTEST 1.44 JAKARTA, INDONESIA (JANUARY 5, 2000) (REUTERS) 17. HAS: PROTESTORS MARCHING ON STREET 1.51 18. SV: MOSLEM WOMEN MARCHING CHANTING "Allahuakbar" 1.56 19. HAS: PROTESTORS MARCHING 2.03 20. SLV/SV: VARIOUS OF PROTESTORS SITTING OUTSIDE VICE PRESIDENT MEGAWATI SUKARNOPUTRI'S OFFICE (2 SHOTS) 2.11 21. SLV: SECURITY FORCES STANDING 2.16 22. SV: PROTESTORS CRYING 2.20 23. CLOSEUP OF PROTESTOR 2.23 24. SV: PROTESTORS CRYING 2.27 25. SV: (SOUNBITE)(Bahasa Indonesia) UNIDENTIFIED MAN SAYING "Our hope is that this tragedy of humananity, this tragic case can be known and understood by all, especially to all Moslems around the world. And moreover, to the rest of God's followers to know that Moslem's have for too long been victimised. So at one time there can be a backlash or revenge. That is only natural emotions" 2.49 26. MLV: MORE OF PROTEST 2.53 UJUNG PANDANG, SOUTH SULAWESI (JANUARY 5, 2000) (REUTERS) 27. SLV: SHIP NEARING PORT 2.59 28. CU: NAME OF BOAT 3.03 29. SV: MEN HOLDING SIGN WELCOMING REFUGEES 3.06 30. LAS: REFUGEES DISEMBARKING 3.10 31. LAS: MORE OF REFUGEES GETTING OFF SHIP 3.14 32. SV: WOMEN CRYING 3.19 33. SV: (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) MAN SAYING "There are many victims. People were cut in pieces and their heads were made football" 3.27 34. WIDE OF PORT 3.31 35. (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) SULAWESI MILITARY CHIEF MAJOR GENERAL AGUS WIRAHADIKUSUMA SAYING: "We must save the weak first. Then we place troops who are neutral to the problem to first separtate those in conflict. After that we launch a police operation to disarm weapons from residents. That is a must." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA1BDAKV2LBQ2ALHFSOR8683U4G
- Location: JAKARTA AND UJUNG PANDANG, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Duration: 00:04:08
- Story Text: Indonesian Moslems slaughtered a goat and smeared its
blood on a wooden cross during a massive protest demanding a
holy war against Christians in the devastated eastern Moluccas
Chanting "Jihad.Jihad." (Holy war), about 5,000
protesters mostly in traditional white Moslem clothes marched
from one mosque in central Jakarta to the campus of the
University of Indonesia on Thursday (January 6).
The protesters demanded the resignation of Vice-President
Megawati Sukarnoputri, who has been assigned to find a way to
end for the year-long violence but has done or said little.
The bloodshed has killed more than 1,500 people.
Before the march, the protesters gathered outside the
mosque where they slaughtered the goat and smeared its blood
on the cross amid loud calls of "Allahu Akbar" (God is great).
Most of the protesters said that they had decided to stage
the protests following reports by local daily Republika which
said that more than 2,000 Moslems had been massacred in the
distant island of Halmahera, on the northern part of Moluccas.
The protest followed a similar protest on Wednesday
(January 5) where some 2,000 Moslem students protested in
front of Megawati's office.
The Indonesian military has dimissed the reports but said
that they would investigate the allegations to get the final
Most of the battles between Christians and Moslems across
the islands, which lie at the eastern end of this huge
multi-ethnic and predominantly Moslem nation, had stopped as
of Wednesday, military officials and residents said.
Thousands of residents however have fled from various
areas in the Moluccas to the neighbouring province of
In December, Megawati along with President Abdurrahman
Wahid visited the island of Ambon where the clashes first
erupted last January in a bid to appeal for peace in the
But their visit was followed by a renewed spate of clashes
in several islands of the territory.Megawati, who was handed
personal responsibility by Wahid to end the conflicts, has
since said or done little about the subject.
In Halmahera, the second largest island in the Moluccas,
around 400 people have been killed in a week of fighting.
The ongoing clashes have put the government under renewed
pressure for its failure to end the problems, Indonesia's
worst religious conflict in decades.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:20th January 2000 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None