BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: A BOSNIAN SERB WHO HAS CHOSEN TO REMAIN IN SARAJEVO SUBURB PLAYS FINAL GAME OF CARDS WITH HIS FRIENDS BEFORE THEY LEAVERecord ID: 639631
- Title: BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: A BOSNIAN SERB WHO HAS CHOSEN TO REMAIN IN SARAJEVO SUBURB PLAYS FINAL GAME OF CARDS WITH HIS FRIENDS BEFORE THEY LEAVE
- Date: 2nd March 1996
- Summary: ILIDZA, SARAJEVO, BOSNIA (MARCH 2 AND 3, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV PETROL STATION FORECOURT 0.07 2. SV ILIJA LUBURA AT WORK (SERB WHO IS STAYING BEHIND) 0.19 3. SV LUBURA WALKING HOME 0.40 4. SV LUBURA PLAYING CARDS WITH NEIGHBOURS 0.55 5. SCU LUBURA SAYING HE WILL STAY DESPITE THE FACT HIS FRIENDS AND NEIGHBOURS ARE LEAVING. EVEN IF HE WAS OFFERED A HOUSE IN BELGRADE HE WOULD NOT LEAVE BECAUSE ILIDZA BELONGED TO THOSE WHO LIVE THERE (SERBO-CROAT) 1.44 6. SV NEIGHBOURS PACKING AND LEAVING (4 SHOTS) 2.16 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVAEDSEA5RBLYGPCN0QU4T9CCLKX
- Location: ILIDZA, SARAJEVO, BOSNIA
- Duration: 00:02:19
- Story Text: A Bosnian Serb,.who had chosen to remain in the Sarajevo suburb of Ilidza, played cards with his friends for the last time on Saturday evening (March 03).
On Sunday morning he watched them pack to leave the suburb, which is due to be handed over to Bosnian Federal Government control.
Ilija Lubura, a Bosnian Serb petrol attendant, whose family has lived in Ilidza for centuries, says he will remain there, despite the fact his friends and neighbours are leaving.
He said even if he was offered a house in Belgrade, the predominantly Serbian capital of Yugoslavia, he would not leave Ilidza as the suburb belonged to the people who lived there.
Serbs from many suburbs of Sarajevo have been fleeing their homes, ahead of the handover, fearing reprisals for the three and a half year siege of the city.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th March 1996 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None