SRI LANKA: TAMIL TIGER GUERRILLAS MASSACRE 14 PEOPLE AND WOUND SEVERAL OTHERS IN ATTACK ON REMOTE VILLAGE
- Title: SRI LANKA: TAMIL TIGER GUERRILLAS MASSACRE 14 PEOPLE AND WOUND SEVERAL OTHERS IN ATTACK ON REMOTE VILLAGE
- Date: 16th June 1995
- Summary: ARUWAKALU, COLOMBO, SRI LANKA (RECENT) (REUTERS TELEVISION - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV SECURITY PERSONNEL GOING INTO THE WOODS 0.06 2. SCU HUTS BURNED DOWN BY TAMIL GUERRILLAS 0.13 3. CU/GV SECURITY PERSONNEL OUTSIDE THE DESTROYED HUTS 0.27 4. CU BLOODSTAINS OUTSIDE ONE OF THE HUTS 0.38 5. SLV BODIES IN A HOSPITAL MORTUARY (2 SHOTS) 0.49 6. SV SECURITY PERSONNEL NEAR THE BODIES 1.02 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA8LKA6VG1JFH5D630FLRNBMG8I
- Location: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA
- Country: Sri Lanka
- Duration: 00:01:03
- Story Text: INTRO: Tamil Tiger guerrillas hacked to death 14 people, wounded several others and burned down houses in a remote village in north-central Sri Lanka, defence sources said today.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- The guerrillas attacked the village of Aruwakalu, bordering the Wilpattu Wildlife Park, 180 km north of thecapital Colombo, shortly after midnight on Monday (June 10), they said.
The sources said Liberation Tigers to Tamil Eelam (LTTE), who are fighting for independence in the Indian Ocean island's north and east, used swords and axes to kill the people, many of them as they were sleeping.
Eight bodies were charred beyond recognition. Six of the dead were from the same family, They said.
The rebels have stepped up hit-and-run attacks on remote vilages and government forces after the loss of their northern Jaffna peninsula stronghold.
The government last month said security forces had brought the entire peninsula, 320 km north of Colombo, under control in a series of military offensives which ended in April.
The rebels regrouped in the jungles of the Wanni, south of east, where the army is thin on the ground.
On Sunday they killed 17 soldiers in a raid on a base in the eastern Batticaloa district, about 280 km from Colombo.
President Chandrika Kumaratunga last year said more than 50,000 people have been killed in the ethnic war since 1983.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:1st July 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None