BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: RED CROSS FINDS 88 UNREGISTERED SERB PRISONERS IN TUZLA PRISON
- Title: BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: RED CROSS FINDS 88 UNREGISTERED SERB PRISONERS IN TUZLA PRISON
- Date: 2nd February 1996
- Summary: TUZLA, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA (FEBRUARY 2, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV EXTERIOR TUZLA PRISON / SV SIGN (3 SHOTS) 0.17 2. GV INT RED CROSS OFFICE 0.23 3. SV LOCAL HEAD OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE OF THE RED CROSS (ICRC), LAURENT FALLEY, SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 0.53 4. CU MAP OF BOSNIA 0.59 SEQUENCE 3 TRANSCRIPT: FALLEY: "THE ICRC GAINED ACCESS TO THE MILITARY PART OF THE TUZLA PRISON AND WERE ABLE TO VISIT 88 SERB PRISONERS. THIS IS ONE OF THE LAST STEPS IN THE PROCESS OF THE RELEASE OF PRISONERS WHICH IS ALSO PART OF THE PEACE AGREEMENT." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA52H89DXU1GX24QXPRLWFQA9HY
- Location: TUZLA, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
- Duration: 00:01:00
- Story Text: The Red Cross said it had found 88 unregistered Serb prisoners at the Bosnian government prison in Tuzla on Friday (February 2).
The head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in the northeastern city, Laurent Fellay, told Reuters he expected them to be released along with other prisoners of war (POWs) from the Bosnian war, but gave no timetable.
"We gained full access to the military part of Tuzla prison after quite a while today, and we were able to visit 88 Serb prisoners," Fellay said.
The incident is an embarrassment for the mainly-Moslem government, which had previously refused to allow ICRC monitors into the prison.
Washington has been annoyed by footdragging on the release of prisoners under the Dayton peace agreement and U.S. Secretary of State Warren Christopher was due in Sarajevo on Saturday (February 3) to press all Bosnian factions to respect the accord.
Under the peace agreement thrashed out at Dayton, Ohio, in November, the three Bosnian factions were supposed to have released all their registered POWs by January 19.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th February 1996 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None