- Title: SIERRA LEONE: ARMY CONTINUES SEARCH FOR FOREIGNERS KIDNAPPED BY GUERRILLAS
- Date: 4th February 1995
- Summary: VARIOUS UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS, SIERRA LEONE (FEBRUARY 4, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SLV GOVERNMENT TROOPS WITH ARTILLERY 0.06 2. SV/PAN GOVERNMENT SOLDIERS WITH WEAPONS (2 SHOTS) 0.15 3. MCU/ZOOM-OUT/SV RUTILE MINE VEHICLE COVERED IN REVOLUTIONARY UNITED FRONT SLOGAN (3 SHOTS) 0.25 4. SLV/ZOOM-OUT GOVERNMENT SOLDIERS WITH ARTILLERY (2 SHOTS) 0.45 5. SV SOLDIERS DRIVE OFF IN TRUCK 0.59 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA20VBKT8JKOOE3JSUNNIRQK1LW
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS, SIERRA LEONE
- Country: AFRICA Sierra Leone
- Duration: 00:00:59
- Story Text: The Sierra Leone army on Saturday (February 4) continued its search for foreigners kidnapped by the guerrilla Revolutionary United Front (RUF), after driving the RUF out of a captured mine site.
The army said it recaptured the Sierra Rutile mine site in southwestern Mobinbi district last Tuesday, after two weeks of fighting.
An army spokesman said troops were pursuing the rebels, who seized seven foreigners and eight Sierra Leoneans in two separate raids - one on the Sierra Rutile mine on January 20 and one on the Sierra Leone Ore and Metal Company on January 18.
The spokesman said the rebels had planned to use the Rutile site as a headquarters.
Another 10 foreigners have disappeared in rebel attacks in various areas of the west African country.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th February 1995 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None