FRANCE: CONTACT GROUP ON YUGOSLAVIA MEETS IN PARIS TO SALVAGE PEACE PLAN FOR THE REGION.Record ID: 639876
- Title: FRANCE: CONTACT GROUP ON YUGOSLAVIA MEETS IN PARIS TO SALVAGE PEACE PLAN FOR THE REGION.
- Date: 2nd March 1995
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MARCH 2, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SLV EXT. OF KLEBER CENTRE WHERE MEETING TAKING PLACE, PEOPLE GOING INTO BUILDING/ZOOM OUT (2 SHOTS) 0.15 2. SLV/PAN ENVOYS ENTERING BUILDING (2 SHOTS) 0.33 3. CU SIGN 0.36 4. LV KLEBER CENTRE 0.44 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA9PWF7K6EIN87WF3J0LQYV9KB6
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:00:44
- Story Text: Officials from the Contact Group on Yugoslavia met in Paris on Thursday (March 2) for a make-or-break attempt to salvage their peace plan for the region, following its rejection by Serbia.
The Group, comprising Britain, France, Germany, Russia and the United States (U.S.) were meeting in what some participants described as a last-ditch effort to avert a new flare-up of war in the region.
British officials said Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic had again rejected the group's peace plan, though adding that negotiations would continue.
The Contact Group has told Serbia sanctions that have crippled its economy could be suspended if Belgrade was willing to ease tension by formally recognising Croatia and Bosnia, where Serb rebels have seized territory.
But Milosevic has insisted all sanctions be completely lifted before further talks can start.
French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said the group's latest peace initiative was crucial because he feared arms shipments into Bosnia could lead to new fighting should diplomacy fail.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th March 1995 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None