- Title: PHILIPPINES: AT LEAST SIX PEOPLE DIE IN HEAVY FLOODS
- Date: 26th May 1997
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (MAY 26, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL ) 1. LV BUS CROSSING FLOODED HIGHWAY 0.05 2. LV PEDESTRIANS WADING THROUGH KNEE-DEEP FLOOD 0.09 3. LV PASSENGER JEEP CROSSING FLOODED HIGHWAY 0.14 4. LV STRANDED JEEP BEING PUSHED 0.18 5. LV AMBULANCE ON STANDBY 0.22 6. LV FLOODED HIGHWAY 0.27 7. LV FLOOD VICTIMS ON ROOFTOP 0.32 8. SV MAN RIDING BICYCLE, WADING THROUGH FLOOD 0.38 9. LV FLOOD VICTIMS WAITING INSIDE A STORE 0.41 10. SV PEDESTRIANS WADING THROUGH THE FLOOD 0.46 11. SV RESCUE TEAM ON LIFEBOAT GOES THROUGH FLOODED STREETS 0.50 12. LV MAN WEARING A LIFE VEST WADING THROUGH FLOOD 0.54 13. SV YOUNG BOY AND MOTHER BEING RESCUED FROM ROOFTOP (2 SHOTS) 1.08 14. SV CRYING BABY WRAPPED IN BLANKET HANDED OVER TO RESCUE WORKERS (2 SHOTS) 1.19 15. LV FLOOD VICTIMS CROWDED ON STAIRS AND ROOF TOPS 1.28 16. CLOSE-UP OF EVACUEES ON BOARD LIFEBOAT 1.31 17. CU SOAKED CHICKEN SEEKING SHELTER FROM RAIN 1.33 18. LV LIFEBOAT BEING PULLED 1.39 19. GV LANDSLIDE/ LV RESCUE TEAM AND VOLUNTEER WORKERS DIGGING FOR VICTIMS OF LANDSLIDE (3 SHOTS) 1.51 20. GV MANILA'S FINANCIAL DISTRICT IN TORRENTIAL RAIN 2.01 21. TV STRANDED COMMUTERS WAITING FOR A RIDE 2.04 22. TV DESERTED STREET 2.07 Initials s2-3, p2-3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVACS8L8HU0DV1R6D8XGTDY1QLJH
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Phillippines
- Duration: 00:02:14
- Story Text: INTRO: Three days of torrential rains and heavy seas have caused havoc in the Philippines, killing at least six people and shutting down Manila streets and financial markets.
The streets of Manila ground to a halt on Monday (May 26) as torrential rains flooded the capital of the Philippines.
Vehicles stalled and people waded through waist-deep water as flash-flooding caused havoc across the city.
Manila's stock market stayed open for only 15 minutes before officials closed it for the day. Banks in the capital all but stopped trading.
Power was cut off in many parts of the city. Thousands of commuters were stranded as buses and cars were unable to drive through window deep water.
Six people died at the weekend when their pleasure boat sipsized off the central island of Cebu.
The rains marked the end of a long dry season that had some parts of the country running short of water.
The rainy season usually begins around May and lasts until November, averaging more than 20 typhoons during the period.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:10th June 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None