- Title: THAILAND: FLASH FLOODS BRING CHAOS
- Date: 2nd October 1996
- Summary: RATCHABURI, THAILAND (OCTOBER 2, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV DISPLACED VILLAGERS ON ROADSIDE 0.04 2. SV BOAT MOVING THROUGH FLOODWATERS 0.09 3. SCU PEOPLE GETTING OFF BOAT WITH THEIR BELONGINGS 0.22 3. SCU BOAT MOTORS INTO VILLAGE 0.32 4. SV DOG STRANDED ON ROOFTOP 0.36 5. SV FLOODED HOMES 0.37 6. SLV VILLAGERS LOOKING THROUGH WINDOW OF FLOODED HOUSE 0.40 7. GV'S OF VILLAGE STRUCK BY FLOODING 0.50 8. SV VILLAGERS AND THEIR BELONGINGS LOADED ON BOATS 1.00 9. SV MAN PERCHED ON ROOF 1.08 10.SV RESCUE WORKERS PULL UP TO FLOODED HOUSE 1.21 11.SLV MAN INSIDE HOUSE WADING IN WATER 1.30 12.SCU VILLAGER SAYING SHE HAS NOT SEEN SUCH FLOODING IN 20 YEARS (THAI) 1.42 13. SV BOAT UNLOADS VILLAGERS AT ROADSIDE 1.53 14. SLV VILLAGERS IN BOATS MOVING THROUGH FLOODWATERS 2.00 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA99LAIV3ZK2OXFVVUSU4DQD4HO
- Location: RATCHABURI, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Duration: 00:02:02
- Story Text: INTRO: At least fourteen people have died in Thailand in what villagers say are the worst floods in twenty years.
Forecasters fear the heavy rains may hit Bangkok next week.
Flash floods brought chaos to western Thailand on Wednesday (October 2) after a week of heavy rain which has killed 14 people and caused millions of dollars of damage to crops.
Forecasters are predicting more wet weather with warnings that Bangkok could be inundated within the week.
Villagers in Ratchaburi province, 115 kilometres (70 miles) west of Bangkok, have been severely affected by the flooding.
Military and civilian rescue teams have been working around the clock to ferry villagers and their possessions to higher ground.
Thirty four of Thailand's 74 provinces have reported flooding.
As of Wednesday, the death toll from the floods was up to 14, while estimated flood damage to crops and property was set at 830 million baht (33.2 million U.S. dollars).
One villager in Ratchaburi said she has not seen floods like this in more than 20 years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th October 1996 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None