PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO: CANADIAN AIRCRAFT AND AVIATION EQUIPMENT RECEIVED BY THE CONGO GOVERNMENT.
- Title: PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO: CANADIAN AIRCRAFT AND AVIATION EQUIPMENT RECEIVED BY THE CONGO GOVERNMENT.
- Date: 20th May 1975
- Summary: 1. GV People waiting for ceremony 0.03 2. SV Canadian and Congolese delegations shake hands 0.08 3. SCU delegations looking at new equipment (3 shots) 0.21 4. SV PAN FROM Aircraft to officials 0.29 5. Congo official looking at aircraft as others look on (3 shots) 0.40 6. MV Canadian of official gets off aircraft as others look on (2 shots) 0.48 7. MV Aircraft taxing for takeoff 0.58 Initials BJB/0025 BJB/0035 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA45VOOPTOBC00U5FNK8WBYIU2F
- Location: BRAZZAVILLE, PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO
- Country: Congo, Democratic Republic of
- Duration: 00:00:58
- Story Text: Under a 1974 aid and co-operation agreement between Canada and the People's Republic of the Congo, Canada has given over three aircraft and aviation equipment to the Congolese Civil Aviation Ministry.
Some of the equipment was presented at a ceremony attended by Canadian diplomats on Sunday (May 17).
The total cost of the material is estimated to be more than 2 million Canadian dollars (about GBP800,000 sterling), half a million (about GBP200,000 sterling) of which is a long-term loan.
The Congo Secretariat of Civil Aviation became responsible for the operation of most of the aeronautical and meteorological installations in the Congo for the Agency for Safety of Aerial Navigation in Africa and Madagascar (ASENCA).
But much of the existing equipment was old and there were not enough trained people available to do the job really well.
The Canadian Government was approached and a co-operation agreement was signed between the two Governments in February 1974.
The Canadian gift includes the cost of providing nine technicians and the setting up of a training school for mechanics, pilots and electronic experts.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:4th June 1975 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None