- Title: SERBIA: Serbia celebrates egg cracking festival at easter
- Date: 5th May 2008
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (SERBIAN) FARMER AND FORTH TIME WINNER, MIODRAG PRODANOVIC SAYING: "You have to understand the egg. You need a lot of luck and to work years by years and than success will come by its self." DECORATED EGGS IN BASKET (SOUNDBITE) (SERBIAN) FARMER AND FORTH TIME WINNER, MIODRAG PRODANOVIC SAYING: "I didn't look around in other farms. I've checked in my yard some more then five hundred eggs." PRODANOVIC CELEBRATING WITH TROPHY ON THE STAGE
- Embargoed: 20th May 2008 13:00
- Location: Serbia
- Country: Serbia
- Topics: Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVABSQUCGFI1RS4U1S4SBNQBNRXZ
- Story Text: People in Serbian village of Mokrin celebrate Easter by taking part in the international egg striking competition.
Easter holidays are Serbia's most respected religious event, traditionally celebrated with family gatherings and painting of Easter eggs.
Among a number of customs which follow the holiday in Serbia, the breaking of Easter eggs is one of the most interesting and anxiously anticipated.
Some 8,000 people, supplied with 300,000 hard-boiled eggs, gathered in the village of Mokrin for an egg-cracking tournament. People take turns tapping their eggs against those of others and the person whoup with the last unbroken egg is believed to have a year of good luck.
Established in 1919, the small village of Mokrin has become well known in the region for the egg cracking tournament. Winning a festival is mark of honour for the farmers, as they also get to show off the quality of their products.
At the end of the competition referee and the winner has to eat the egg as a proof that the egg is natural.
"You have to understand the egg. You need a lot of luck and to work years by years and than success will come by its self," fourth time winner Miodrag Prodanovic explained to Reuters.
"I didn't look around in other farms. I've checked in my yard some more then five hundred eggs," he added.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None