- Title: GERMANY: "RAVE 4 CHRIST" LASTEST CRAZE AT THE TECHNO-CHURCH
- Date: 2nd June 1996
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (JUNE 2, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV EXTERIOR OF CHURCH, BELLS RINGING 0.04 2. LV INSIDE CHURCH/MOCK WALL FALLING DOWN 0.15 3. MV CHURCH GOERS/ VARIOUS OF RECORD ON DECK/ SMOKE EMERGING FROM MACHINE/MUSICIANS (3 SHOTS) 0.32 4. SLV OLD WOMAN IN CHURCH 0.36 5. LV SMOKE EMERGING FROM STAGE 0.42 6. SLV PASTOR JUERGEN HERMANN CHANTING PRAYER 0.50 7. GV'S CHURCH ALTAR, CROSS, CONGREGATION 1.07 8. MV HERMANN SAYING IN SERMON: WHAT KIND OF NARROW-MINDED IDEAL IS IT THAT ONE'S LIFE MUST CONSIST ONLY OF CONSUMPTION, ENTERTAINMENT - SIMPLY PARTY. (GERMAN) 1.26 9. SLV LADY SINGING TECHNO CHURCH HYMNE 1.33 10. MV PASTOR/CHURCH-GOERS SINGING ALONG 1.40 11. HERMANN SPEAKING ABOUT SERVICES (ENGLISH) 2.02 12. GV'S COMMUNION, CHURCH SERVICE (3 SHOTS) 2.24 TRANSCRIPT SEQ. 11. HERMAN, " WITH THESE TECHNO SERVICES WE WANT TO GIVE A SIGN THAT WE DO NOT CUT OUT THE TECHNO SCENE - THESE ARE YOUNG PEOPLE, THIS IS A SCENE WITHOUT ORIENTATION. WE INVITE THEM AND SAY THERE IS SOME ORIENTATION WE CAN DISCUSS. WE WANT TO GIVE A SIGN THAT WE ARE OPEN TO THESE TECHNO PEOPLE." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 17th June 1996 13:00
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVAC2G6Y2Y6XLLJFWXP1VJ1HOPCA
- Story Text: - INTRO: A church service called "Rave 4 Christ" has given Berliners their first taste of a new trend in church services: the rock music and high speed prayers that make up Techno Church.
----------------------------------------------------- A disco turntable, prayers chanted at 120 beats per minute and communion taken under coloured lights replaced the more traditional church atmosphere on Sunday (June 2).
According to organisers, it was the first protestant techno church service to have taken place.
With the theme "Jericho's walls must fall", it was to be a service catering to young people with disc jockeysMack Beth and Essex mixing the latest techno rhythms.
After the hour-long event, pastor Juergen Hermann said that the protestant church does not want to cut out the young generation, adding that with this service "we want to give a sign that we are open to techno people".
Church-goers, both young and old, took part. Raver Joanna said she was not convinced. She said it was interesting that the church was finding to make contact with the young generation but also said that she would not be visiting a church more often than before.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None