- Title: NATO foreign ministers pose for family photo at Tillerson's first meeting
- Date: 31st March 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (MARCH 31, 2017) (REUTERS) U.S. FLAG OUTSIDE NATO HEADQUARTERS EXTERIOR OF NATO HEADQUARTERS NATO FLAG ARMED SECURITY OFFICER GUARDING ENTRANCE MASKED SECURITY OFFICER ON ROOFTOP
- Embargoed: 14th April 2017 12:54
- Keywords: NATO Foreign ministers family photo Johnson Freeland Stoltenberg Tillerson
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: NATO,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016AAIYBR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: NATO foreign ministers on Friday (March 31) looked into ways of keeping Washington committed to the alliance, which the new U.S. President Donald Trump has denounced as "obsolete", as they gathered in Brussels for a rescheduled one-day meeting.
The alliance advanced the talks to an earlier date to accommodate Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's agenda.
Under Trump, Washington has stepped up pressure on Europe to pay more for its own defence. The new U.S. president has also said fighting terrorism was his chief priority and the alliance should do more on that.
Only four European NATO members - Estonia, Greece, Poland and Britain - met the alliance's agreed requirement of spending two percent of their annual economic output on defence.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None