- Title: Presidential election campaigning begins in South Korea
- Date: 17th April 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (APRIL 17, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SOUTH KOREA'S OPPOSITION MINJOO PARTY (DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF KOREA) MEMBERS AT PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN SOUTH KOREA'S OPPOSITION MINJOO PARTY'S PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, MOON JAE-IN (CENTRE), AND PARTY MEMBERS HOLDING HANDS UP
- Embargoed: 1st May 2017 12:08
- Keywords: South Korea presidential election campaign Moon Jae-in Ahn Cheol-soo
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016CSDVET
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korean presidential candidates kicked off their 22 days of election campaigning on Monday (April 17).
South Korea will elect a new president on May 9 after former leader Park Geun-hye was impeached and arrested over an influence-peddling scandal that prompted hundreds of thousands of protesters into the streets for her ouster.
A total of 15 candidates registered their candidacy for the presidential election on Sunday (April 16), according to the National Election Commission (NEC).
Moon Jae-in of the liberal Democratic Party currently holds the lead in a majority of the polls, but he is closely followed by Ahn Cheoul-soo, a candidate from another opposition party, the People's Party.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None