- Title: ROMANIA: NICU CEAUSESCU BURIED IN BUCHAREST
- Date: 29th September 1996
- Summary: GHENCEA GRAVEYARD,BUCHAREST.29 SEPTEMBER 1996. RTV-ACCESS ALL 1.GV CROWDS AT ENTRANCE TO GRAVEYARD 0.4 2.SV MOURNERS ARRIVING 0.8 3.GV PAN LARGE CROWD WAITING TO PAY THEIR RESPECTS 0.19 4.GV CROWD AND WREATH 0.23 5.CU OLD WOMAN CRYING 0.26 6.GV MAN HOLDING PICTURE OF NICU WITH BLACK BAND 0.32 7.GV MAN HOLDING CROSS WITH NICU'S NAME ON IT 0.34 8.GV COFFIN DRAPED IN ROMANIAN FLAG 0.43 9.SCU WOMEN GRIEVING 0.46 10.GV COFFIN LAID ON GRAVE 0.52 11.GV CAKE HELD WITH ONE BURNING CANDLE 0.56 12.GV PRIEST SPRINKLES EARTH ON COFFIN 1.02 13.CU COFFIN LOWERED INTO GRAVE 1.11 14.GV TILT DOWN CEMETERY BUILDING,CROWD 1.17 15.GV NICHOLAS CEAUSESCU GRAVE (OF FORMER COMMUNIST DICTATOR) COVERED WITH LIGHTED TAPERS 1.27 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 14th October 1996 13:00
- Location: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA
- Country: Romania
- Reuters ID: LVA2JNF4TAQDTW13C4HY2BA11VWC
- Story Text: Nicu Ceausescu,the hard-drinking playboy son of Romania's late Communist dictator Nicholas Ceausescu,died in hospital in Vienna on Thursday the 26 September while waiting for a liver transplant.He was 45 years old.
Nicu was the youngest of the three children of Nicholas and Elena Ceausescu,both shot on Christmas Day 1989 as their regime was being overthrown.He was a notorious womaniser who squandered vast sums of public money at the gaming tables of Las Vegas and other casino towns.Nicu was being groomed to succeed his father when the violent anti-communist revolution toppled the Stalinist dictatorship.
Nicu,a physicist,was the then Party boss in the central Romanian county of Sibiu which he regarded as his personal fiefdom.Nicu was originally sentenced to 20 years in jail on a charge of ordering the mass murder of opponents in Sibiu but authorities freed him in November 1992 on health grounds.
Despite his many faults Nicu always had a loyal following which included his brother Valentin and his sister Zoe who both survive him.
Many turned out for his funeral at the Ghencea graveyard in Bucharest on 29 September to mourn the passing of the middle-aged reprobate.He was buried next to his father Nicholas Ceasescu.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None