- Title: THAILAND: CEREMONIAL REVIEW OF TROOPS BY KING BHUMIBOL
- Date: 3rd December 1995
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (DECEMBER 3, 1995) (REUTERS TELEVISION - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/SV PALACE GUARD DRAWN UP IN RANKS/ GUARDS (2 SHOTS) 0.10 2. SV PANS KING BHUMIBOL IN CAR INSPECTS GUARD 0.22 3. SV PEOPLE WATCHING, PHOTOGRAPHERS 0.25 4. SV PANS KING AND QUEEN IN CAR 0.39 6. SLV BUGLER 0.48 7. GV KING ON PODIUM 1.00 8. GV/SLV GUARD ASSEMBLED, CHANT (2 SHOTS) 1.11 9. GV/LV BALLOONS ARE RELEASED INTO THE AIR (2 SHOTS) 1.22 10. SLV KING ADDRESSES THE GUARD 1.32 11. GV GUARD MARCHES PAST/ MOUNTED GUARDS (2 SHOTS) 1.40 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 18th December 1995 12:00
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Reuters ID: LVA2ETMSO2BA8MINT7NZWD034E4Z
- Story Text: Soldiers from the 14 battalions of Thailand's Royal Guard on Sunday (December 3) again swore an Oath of Allegiance to the Thai Royal Family.
King Bhumibol (pronounced 'pumipon'), accompanied by the Queen and The Crown Prince inspected the Royal Guard at the annual Trooping of the Colours on the Royal Plaza to mark the King's birthday on Tuesday (December 5).
Thousands of Thais witnessed the ceremony, hoping for a glimpse of the King, one of the world's longest-reigning monarchs.
King Bhumibol, who will be 68 on Tuesday, exhorted public servants to continue their efforts to ensure the prosperity and stability of the nation, a constitutional monarchy.
The Cambridge, Massachusetts-born king acceded to the throne in 1946 at the age of 19, although he postponed his coronation until 1950 to complete his studies.
He has reigned through some of the most politically turbulent years in his country's modern history, marked by repeated coups and coup attempts, and is seen as a powerful force for national unity.
His intervention at crucial times, including after the bloody military crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in May 1992, has been considered pivotal.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None