- Title: HONG KONG: JANSHER KHAN RETAINS TITLE IN WORLD SQUASH
- Date: 3rd September 1995
- Summary: HONG KONG (SEPTEMBER 3, 1995) JANSHER KHAN (GREEN SHIRT) V BRETT MARTIN (RED SHIRT) 1. MARTIN WINS POINT 2. CROWD WATCHING 3. GAME IN PROGRESS (HEAD-ON COVER) 4. JANSHER WINS POINT 5.JANSHER'S WINNING SHOT, JANSHER AND MARTIN SHAKE HANDS, WALK OFF COURT 6. JANSHER PRESENTED WITH TROPHY AND CHEQUE Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 18th September 1995 13:00
- Location: HONG KONG
- Country: Hong Kong
- Reuters ID: LVAZUBT0UGQPBR1XJDR7H852IKZ
- Story Text: Jansher Khan underlined his supremacy of world squash as he lifted his seventh Hong Kong Open title with a 15-12, 15-7, 15-3 victory in 30 minutes over Australian Brett Martin on Sunday (September 3).
The 26-year-old Jansher, the top seed and defending champion, took the initiative from the start and 32-year-old Martin never looked like scoring a first career victory over the Pakistani.
Martin tried to make a match of it and at one stage took seven successive points in the opening game. But Jansher was able to step up the pace and snuff out any real challenge to his authority.
Jansher picked up the winner's cheque of 11,500 U.S. Dollars for his 67th career victory.
Fourth-seed Martin, winner of the Hong Kong title in 1993 after his brother Rodney Martin had surprisingly beaten Jansher in the semifinal, admitted that he felt sluggish after his five-game clash with fellow Australian Rodney Eyles the previous day.
In a surprise announcement after his win, Jansher said he would be cutting his playing schedule in the future.
But he gave Hong Kong organisers some optimism after Sunday's victory by promising to return next year to defend the title he first won in 1987.
While most of the Open's top-ranked field competed in Singapore and Malaysia before coming to Hong Kong, Jansher preferred to stay at home, fine-tuning his game at a training camp in Pakistan following a season of league squash in London.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None