- Title: TURKEY: MOTHER-TO-BE OF SEPTUPLETS SAYS SHE WILL NOT REDUCE PREGNANCY.
- Date: 4th March 2005
- Summary: (BN16) IZMIR, TURKEY (MARCH 03, 2005) (REUTERS)) 1. GV/CU/TILT DOWN: SIBEL DENIZ, PREGNANT WITH SEPTUPLETS, SITTING IN HER HOUSE WITH HUSBAND HUSEYIN DENIZ; TILT TO STOMACH OF DENIZ (2 SHOTS) 0.08 2. MV: SON OF DENIZ RUNNING TO MOTHER 0.12 3. MV/PAN: HUSEYIN DENIZ BRINGING WATER TO HER WIFE 0.21 4. CU: MARRIAGE PHOTO OF HUSEYIN AND SIBEL DENIZ 0.25 5. GV/PAN: HUSEYIN AND SIBEL DENIZ ENTERING HOSPITAL 0.34 6. MV: DENIZ FAMILY AT PRESS CONFERENCE WITH THEIR DOCTOR 0.40 7. SOUNDBITE (Turkish) SIBEL DENIZ SAYING: "My last decision is to give birth to all of them (to the seven of them ?) yes to all" 0.44 8. CU: HUSEYIN DENIZ AT PRESS CONFERENCE 0.50 9. SOUNDBITE (Turkish) SIBEL DENIZ SAYING: "All of them are well in health conditions. And I can not sacrifice any of my children. I know that I am behaving with mother instinct but I decided to give birth to them" 1.04 10. GV: FOUR OF BABIES ON ULTRASOUND SCREEN 1.11 11. MV/CU: DOCTOR OZER GURBUZ EXAMINING SIBEL DENIZ WITH ULTRASOUND (4 SHOTS) 1.38 12. SOUNDBITE (Turkish) DOCTOR, OZER GURBUZ SAYING: "All of the doctors are agreed on reducing the number to three but mother by behaving because of pyscholgical reasons and by affecting from her environment, decided to continue this pregnancy as we expected" 1.56 13. MV/CU: VARIOUS OF DENIZ UNDER ULTRASOUND (4 SHOTS) 2.18 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 19th March 2005 12:00
- Location: IZMIR, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Reuters ID: LVACW13COEJ0A7THUGJUCO78P4IK
- Story Text: Mother-to-be of septuplets says she will not end
Huseyin and Sibel Deniz, a married couple living in
western Turkish city Izmr decided to have another child
after giving birth to a boy three years ago by in vitro
fertilisation, using the same method.
But the result of the method was unexpected this time.
Sibel Deniz who is 29 years old is carrying not one but
seven babies inside her belly.
Doctors advised the couple to reduce the number of babies
because of health risks for both the babies and the mother.
The expectant mother has been given until the weekend to
decide whether she wishes to try to carry all of the unborn
babies through pregnancy. The weekend marks the eighth
week of the pregnancy.
Gynaecologist family appeared in front of the press after
having a briefing with an ethics board consisting of many
doctors from hospitals to announce the decision given by
the family on Thursday (03 March).
"My last decision is to give birth to all of them,"
Sibel Deniz said.
She said the decision was not easy to make, but she was
not able to sacrifice any of her children.
"I know that I am behaving with mother instinct but I
decided to give birth to them" said Deniz to Reuters.
But the doctors are not pleased by her decision.
Deniz's doctor, Ozer Gurbuz said the mother made the
decision for psychological reasons and the selective
reduction of the number of foetuses is a must.
Gurbuz said by deciding to try to keep all of the
babies, there was a risk to the lives of everyone of them.
"All of the doctors are agreed on reducing the number to
three but the mother by behaving because of
pyscholgical reasons and by influences from her
environment, decided to continue this pregnancy as we
expected" said Gurbuz.
The septupltes at the lenghth of 30 milimeters looked fine
under the ultrasound said doctor Gurbuz but it was
unknown if they would continue to do well through the nine
months of the pregnancy.
Despite the risks, a number of companies have offered to
sponsor the family for diapers, food and even education of
the Turkish septuplets.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None