- Title: GERMANY: GLIDING ENTHUSIASTS PREPARE FOR THE GERMAN GLIDING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Date: 14th August 2001
- Summary: ROITZSCHJORA, GERMANY (AUGUST 14, 2001) (REUTERS) 1. WIDE OF AIRFIELD 2. CARS TOWING GLIDERS ON FIELD 3. PILOTS NEAR PLANES PARKED IN FIELD 4. PILOT SITTING IN CABIN MAKING FINAL ADJUSTMENTS 5. ANOTHER PILOT SITTING IN CABIN 6. FEMALE PILOT STANDING NEAR GLIDER 7. SOUNDBITE (German) JUERGEN SCHUBACH, COMPETITOR, SAYING "The weather may be perfect for swimming, but for the pilots it's rather strenuous. We get excited about a few clouds in the sky." 8. PILOTS COMPARING MAPS AND BEING BRIEFED 9. PAN ACROSS PARTICIPANTS 10. SOUNDBITE (German) KAI GLATTER, COMPETITOR, SAYING "We will first fly to Oehna and then Burg, a total of two hundred and thirty three kilometres." 11. PILOT BOARDING PLANE 12. PILOT ADJUSTING SEAT BELT 13. CABIN ROOF BEING LOCKED 14. TWO GLIDERS TAKING OFF 15. OFFICIAL TALKING ON RADIO 16. PILOT IN CABIN 17. GLIDERS TAKING OFF 18. GLIDER BEING TOWED IN AIR 19. MID AIR SHOT OF GLIDER DISCONNECTING FROM TOWING PLANE 20. AERIALS OF LANDSCAPE AND OTHER GLIDERS IN MID AIR 21. SPECTATORS WATCHING FROM GROUND 22. GLIDERS FLYING IN CIRCLE 23. AERIAL OF LANDSCAPE AND SEVERAL GLIDERS UNDERNEATH 24. CLOSE-UP OF INSTRUMENTS 25. MID AIR SHOT OF PILOT APPROACHING AIRFIELD 26. GLIDER PASSING 27. OFFICIAL SPEAKING ON RADIO 28. SOUNDBITE (German) GERT KALISCH, HEAD OF COMPETITION, SAYING "The way things are looking now, the favorites are leading and several hopefuls have not yet arrived." 29. GLIDER LANDING Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 29th August 2001 13:00
- Location: ROITZSCHJORA, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVAEA8WOJGMIQOHAWP7P1ROMQEJ9
- Story Text: Almost one hundred flying enthusiasts are currently
preparing for the German gliding championships in the summer
Nearly one hundred pilots and their gliders have
gathered in the Saxon town of Roitzschjora, near Leipzig, to
test their planes, their skills and their competitors.
Gliding has some 40,000 followers in Germany alone and the
sport was popular even in what used to be East Germany, the
site once again of this year's championship preparations.
"The weather may be perfect for swimming, but for the
pilots it's rather strenuous. We get excited about a few
clouds in the sky," said participant Juergen Schubach before
being pulled to a height of 600 metres from where he was to
glide down to earth again.
Currently, the gliders are covering distances of around
250 kilometres each day.
The 97 pilots are competing for two weeks in the hope of
snatching one of the 20 available places in next year's
competition for which no date has yet been been set.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None