- Title: ITALY: HISTORIC PAGEANT AT LEGNANO
- Date: 26th May 1959
- Summary: No available shotlist Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 10th June 1959 13:00
- Location: Legnano near Milano (Italy)
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVA49Q5EO59TDGXSBN18EHKTV4M6
- Story Text: The first tournament form which the present day pageant descends, took place in the year 1500 with the participation of young Milanese knigts of that day.
Since then the manifestation took place yearly excepti for years in which wars or other "calamities" prevented it.
The "Carroccio" which is the piece de resistance of the affair is a cross with the effigy of Christ which is mounted on a cart drawn by oxen. The remainder of the parade consists of "ladies and gentlemen" dressed in medieval costumes which preceed and follow the "carroccio".
When the parade reaches the stadium the competition proper begins. Four heats of four horses each race and the winner of each heat takes place in the grand finale.
Each sector of the city of Legnano is represented by a horse and rider and the competition is very keen.
The sector of the city which comes out the winner keeps the "Carroccio" until another competition takes place the following year. (the passing over of the carroccio to this year's winners ??? could not be filmed because it took place a good while after sundown.)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None