- Title: SINGAPORE/MALAYSIA: REACTION TO DEATH OF CHAIRMAN MAO.
- Date: 13th September 1976
- Summary: 1. CU MALAYSIAN NEWSPAPERS WITH PHOTOS OF CHAIRMAN MAC 3 ft 2. GV CHINESE EMBASSY IN KUALA LUMPUR (2 SHOTS) 6 ft 3. SV CHINESE FLAG AT HALF MAST 8 ft 4. SV DATUK HUSSEIN ONN ARRIVING AT CHINESE EMBASSY (3 SHOTS) 14 ft 5. SV MAC'S PORTRAIT AND WREATH 16 ft 6. SV DATUK HUSSEIN ONN PAYING RESPECTS TO CHAIRMAN MAO (2 SHOTS) 19 ft 7. SV DATUK HUSSEIN ONN SIGNING CONDOLENCE BOOK 21 ft 8. GV PAN CHINA BANK IN SINGAPORE 26 ft 9. GV WREATHS OUTSIDE CHINA BANK 27 ft 10. SV PEOPLE SIGNING CONDOLENCE BOOK IN CHINA BANK 31 ft 11. SV GIRL PAYING RESPECTS BEFORE PORTRAIT OF CHAIRMAN MAO 36 ft Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 28th September 1976 13:00
- Location: SINGAPORE, KUALA LUMPUR
- Country: Singapore Malaysia
- Reuters ID: LVA832HP9VHKTRLOI5F4WLWH0K0F
- Story Text: Newspapers throughout Asia are still carrying the news of the death of the Chinese leader, Chairman Mao Tse-Tung and the possible consequences of a new Chinese leadership.
In Malaysia, as in all other country's with diplomatic relations with China, the flags at the Chinese Embassy are all lowered to half mast. Malaysian Prime Minister, Datuk Hussein Onn, visited the Chinese Embassy accompanied by other leading Malaysian government Minsters. They passed on the condolences and sympathies of the Malaysian people to the government and people of China on the death of their leader. Datuk Hussein also signed a message of condolence on behalf of the Malaysian people.
In Singapore, the flag at the Bank of China was flying at half mast. Wreaths were laid outside the bank, many of them unsigned.
Despite the several anonymous wreaths, wreaths, people queued to sign a special boo, in the Bank signifying their sympathies for the Chinese people on the death of Chairman Mao.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None