- Title: JERUSALEM: RARE SNOWSTORM BRINGS MUCH OF THE HOLY LAND TO A STANDSTILL
- Date: 27th February 2003
- Summary: (U3) JERUSALEM (FEBRUARY 26, 2003) (REUTERS) 1. MINARET COVERED IN SNOW 2. SNOW FALLING 3. GIRL TRUDGING THROUGH SNOW 4. SNOW FALLING ON JERUSALEM 5. SNOWMAN ON SIDEWALK 6. PEOPLE WITH THEIR DOG PLAYING IN SNOW 7. MAN MAKING SNOWMAN 8. JERUSALEM'S OLD CITY COVERED IN SNOW 9. PALESTINIAN MAN WALKING IN JERUSALEM'S OLD CITY 10. ORTHODOX JEW WALKING IN JERUSALEM 11. KIDS PLAYING IN SNOW 12. JERUSALEM'S OLD CITY 13. WIDE OF SNOW-COVERED CITY 1.30 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 14th March 2003 12:00
- Location: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Reuters ID: LVAAG7S4TIQQ5X4YQAY13Q52PGS2
- Story Text: A rare snowstorm has brought much of the Holy Land to a
standstill and enfolded Jerusalem and all of its residents,
both Israeli and Palestinian, in a rare blanket of peace and
tranquility that offered a much-needed respite from 29 months
Jerusalem residents have been snowed in for a second
day after a rare snowstorm blanketed the city. Snow continued
to fall on Wednesday (February 26) in Jerusalem and
neighbouring towns, reaching more than 30 cm (12 inches) in
Schools and many business remained closed, giving children
and their parents another day of fun in the rare snowfall.
Public transport was also not working, leaving the
normally busy city streets virtually empty.
The walled Old City was decked in downy white, as brave
Christian, Jewish and Muslim faithful shuffled through the
sleet to reach their places of worship.
The regional storm was one of the strongest cold fronts in
the last decade, affecting also the West Bank, northern
Israel, Lebanon and Syria.
A thaw is expected to begin in the region on Wednesday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None